Officials for the Anne Arundel County Public Library (AACPL) recently announced the launch of this year’s Summer @ Your Library reading challenge. Called, Imagine Your Story, the free program features virtual concerts, performances and storytimes for people of every age and will run until August 31. This year marks the first time all the program’s performances and events will be held virtually.
Each of AACPL’s virtual family-friendly programs will feature ASL interpretation and closed captioning. They are designed to build lifelong readers of all ages and to help children keep their reading skills sharp while having fun. Participants who meet the challenge will also have a chance to win prizes including: a Harry Potter Lego set, a Yeti gift pack, an artist gift pack, a set of castle blocks or a Chromebook.
Registration for the program can be done online at www.aacpl.net/summer. Participants can track their progress online using the Beanstack app or at aacpl.beanstack.org.
“Summer reading programs have been proven to have a tremendous impact on student achievement and play a critical role in providing a solid foundation for later academic success. As our very first all virtual summer reading program, we are excited to be able to provide customers with a safe and convenient way to participate,” says AACPL CEO Skip Auld.
Libraries across the county will offer a variety of special programs on Zoom as part of the initiative including:
- Books! Magic Wow Workshop– Popular magician Joe Romano will share his mind-blowing magic act stressing the importance of reading.
- Stevens Puppets present Goldilocks and the Three Bears– Hand-carved wooden marionettes bring this story to life with charming literary rhymes.
- Sound Tales– Kids will enjoy stories, songs and sounds that spark their imagination, made 100 percent by the human voice.
- ScienceTellers Dragons: Return of the Ice Sorceress– This fantasy adventure features the science of dry ice effects while telling a story from long ago.
- Juggling Funny Stories!– Join award-winning family entertainer Chris Fascione as he brings stories to life with boundless energy, humor and even audience participation.
- 123 Andrés Bilingual Family Beats– The Latin Grammy-winning duo of Christina and Andrés are bringing their bilingual tunes and irresistible beats to get your family up, moving and laughing.
- Rock & Rhyme with Mr. Jon– Mr. Jon & Friends is an award winning musical duo for kids and their families. Enjoy a fun time with Mr. Jon and his silly friend George the Monkey.
- Uncle Devin’s Animal Madness– Enjoy this interactive musical experience which is a dynamic cross between DC’s Trouble Funk and Schoolhouse Rock.
- Arianna Ross | The Fastest Plane: An Imaginary Journey Around the World and Beyond–Explore the world through fairy tales, myths and fantastical adventures. Dance, laugh, and play through Brazil, America, Mexico, Indonesia, Egypt or India.
- Kofi Dennis–Learn by interactive African games and storytelling. Plus, explore some favorite children’s literature, with lots of drumming, singing and dancing!
For a complete list of programs and events for the Summer @ Your Library, visit the system’s website at aacpl.net/summer.