Everyone knows that exercise and eating right leads to better health and wellness. But how do the beverages you drink factor into this equation? What you choose to drink can truly make or break your health maintenance or transformation goals.
Without a conscious effort to drink healthily, you can end up consuming calories and sugars that don’t do much to satiate your appetite. While you should focus on drinking plenty of water every day, you may crave tastier drinks throughout the day. To satisfy your tastebuds without compromising your health goals, try out the following drinks with surprising wellness perks.
This juice made from beetroots or the bulbous root vegetable has a sweet and distinct flavor. Beetroot juice has a sharp red color and offers a plethora of benefits. For example, frequently drinking beet juice may improve muscle power, slow the progression of dementia, and aid with weight loss. Many beet juice lovers enjoy two associated benefits in particular:
- Managing Blood Pressure– Beetroots contain high levels of nitrate that becomes nitric acid in the blood. According to the Oxford Journal of Nutrition, consuming beet juice can lead to a drop in systolic blood pressure since it helps blood vessels dilate.
- Stamina- A study published by the National Library of Medicine showed that beetroot juice improved physical performance and reduced the maximum oxygen output for the test subjects who participated in a cycling trial.
Coconut water, the water procured from a fresh coconut, has a refreshing and mildly sweet taste. Apart from this, it is filled with nutrients and offers plenty of benefits, such as:
- Helping Diabetic Patients- Studies show that drinking coconut water may increase insulin sensitivity and decrease blood sugar levels in people with Type 2 diabetes.
- Preventing Kidney Stones– Drinking plenty of water is a great way to prevent kidney stones. These stones, primarily made up of calcium, form from crystals that stick in your urine and are painful to pass. Studies suggest that coconut water reduces the number of crystals in the urine, preventing kidney stones from forming.
This drink is a fermented tea made from sugar, tea, yeast, and bacteria. Kombucha offers similar benefits as green tea and is an excellent source of antioxidants. Here are a few other benefits:
- Great Source of Probiotics– The fermented yeast and bacteria stick to the tea and have several lactic-acid bacteria, which can be great for gut health.
- Kills Bacteria– Since acetic acid is the main ingredient in the fermenting process, it can treat bacteria that cause infections and yeast.
Matcha is a green tea made by grinding young leaves into a vibrant green powder. Unlike with regular tea, you consume whole leaves when you drink matcha tea, so you take in more nutrients. Like most green teas, it is high in antioxidants and aids with loss, and diabetes. Studies show that drinking green tea reduces cholesterol and reduces high blood pressure. With a dash of frothy milk and sugar, voila, you have a matcha latte.
Keto coffee combines coffee and healthy fats that induce the state of ketosis, during which your body uses fat instead of carbohydrates for energy. If you’re starting your keto diet and looking for a way to make it easier, this coffee is a great way to kick-start the day. Apart from helping with weight loss, it also improves digestion and gives you an energy boost.
Red wine comes from crushed and fermented dark grapes. It typically has an alcohol content of 12 to 15 percent, so be sure to drink it moderation. Red wine is rich in antioxidants and has small amounts of carbohydrates when consumed in limited quantities.
While more research needs to be done, studies show promising results regarding red wine’s health benefits. The drink contains antioxidants, could potentially decrease the risk of heart disease, and may even lower your risk of developing dementia.
Making cinnamon milk is quick and easy; you just have to warm up your milk or dairy alternative of choice and add cinnamon or cinnamon bark. You can also add sugar or honey to taste.
Cinnamon contains the compound cinnamaldehyde, which gives it its signature aroma and taste. In addition to boosting your metabolism, consuming cinnamon offers the following benefits:
- Packed with Antioxidants– Cinnamon contains a plethora of antioxidants that protect your body from dangerous free radicals.
- Anti-inflammatory Properties– It can also help your body fight infections and repair any tissue damage.
Drink Healthy, Stay Healthy
By choosing these healthy drink options over high-calorie, high-sugar drinks like soda, you can meet your health goals and still enjoy sweet, creamy, and energizing drinks. The next time you find yourself reaching for a case of soda in the grocery aisle, think of all the tasty alternatives that can boost your health instead of counteracting your efforts in other areas.