As part of his continued efforts to combat tax fraud and identity theft, Comptroller Peter Franchot announced today that the agency has stopped processing electronic tax returns from 21 tax preparers at 22 locations in Maryland. The suspensions, which are effective immediately, were due to a large volume of questionable returns received.
“By stopping these deceptive preparers and their unethical behavior, we protect hardworking taxpayers and save the state millions of dollars in unwarranted refunds,” said Comptroller Franchot. “Our Questionable Returns Detection Team is the best in the business at ensuring fraudulent filings are not processed. This benefits honest taxpayers and safeguards the State’s coffers.”
Last year, 24 tax preparers at 24 locations in Maryland and other states were blocked from filing electronic returns. Since 2016, 236 tax preparation firms at 250 locations have been suspended due to highly suspicious tax returns.
The complete list of previously blocked preparers is available at www.marylandtaxes.gov.
The Comptroller’s nationally recognized fraud unit uses state-of-the-art technology to detect suspicious returns and notifies the preparers allegedly submitting fraudulent filings.
The tax preparers and locations blocked from filing returns through this action are:
- Baltimore Tax Man LLC, 300 E. 25th St., Baltimore, MD 21218
- Prestige Tax Office, 3447 Spelman Road, Brooklyn, MD 21225
- J L Tax Services, 4273 Branch Ave., Temple Hills, MD 20748
- Affordable Financial Services, 265 Carvel Road, Pasadena, MD 21122
- LS Tax & Notary Services, 18403 Woodfield Road, Suite C, Gaithersburg, MD 20879
- MRS-REFUNDS-TO-GO, 4810 St. Barnabas Road, Suite 204, Temple Hills, MD 20748 & 9300 Lottsford Road, Largo, MD 20774
- KG Accounting Service LLC, 3501 Hamilton St., Suite 201-C, Hyattsville, MD 20782
- TWA Financial Network LLC, 6215 Greenbelt Road, Suite 303, College Park, MD 20740
- Suka Tax Service, 6475 New-Hampshire Ave. 350-M, Hyattsville, MD 20783
- Uceda Tax Service, 10258 Ridgeline Drive, Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- BR&D Tax Service, 3847 Branch Ave., Temple Hills, MD 20748
- United Tax Service, 10912 Reisterstown Road, Suite A, Owings Mills, MD 21117
- Jahsco Tax Service, 14215 Devinger Place, Accokeek, MD 20607
- V.T. Golden & Associates INC, 6311-B Allentown Road, Suite 100, Temple Hills, MD 20748
- Golden Express Financial, 5007 Anntana Ave., Baltimore, MD 21206
- ADEM TAX SOLUTIONS, 6490 Landover Road, Suite D1, Hyattsville, MD 20785
- FAM Tax Services LLC, 1062 E. Thornhill Place, Frederick, MD 21703
- A & B and Accounting Services, 12314 Sir Lancelot Drive, Glenn Dale, MD 20769
- Yadof Financial Solution, 9424 Annapolis Road, Lanham, MD 20706
- Urban Family Tax, 336 W. Riverview Road, Brooklyn Park, MD 21225
- A & S Tax Service, 8312 Sunnybrook Court, Brandywine, MD 20613
The agency refers the list of blocked tax preparers to the Maryland Office of the Attorney General, which will prioritize the cases to be prosecuted after thorough investigations by agents with the Comptroller’s Field Enforcement Division. A review process by the Maryland Comptroller’s Office provides an opportunity for blocked preparers to have their filing privileges restored prior to possible prosecution.
Since taking office in 2007, the Comptroller’s Office has identified and blocked nearly 120,000 fraudulent returns and intercepted and denied more than $225 million worth of fraudulent refunds.
If taxpayers suspect fraud, they should immediately report the issue to the Comptroller’s Office by calling 1-800-MD-TAXES (1-800-638-2937) or 410-260-7980 in Central Maryland or [email protected].