Herb McMillan For Anne Arundel County Executive
--> Annapolis Restaurant Week <-----
--> <-----
--> Wes Adams For Anne Arundel Conty Circuit Court Judge <-----
Insert future code here--> 1-1 to 1-31 Anne Arundel County Stop Smoking <-----
STANDARD HERMAN AD--> Anne Arundel County Stop Smoking <-----
Herrmann 40--> “Herrmann <-----
MD Higher Education Commission Near Completer
Insert future code here
1-14-22 to 3-8-22 <------
-- October 21 - 1-14-22 <---------
Orioles Bud april 2020 to Sept 2020
“Nationals October 2019

Eastport pride at Annapolis Maritime Antiques

| September 12, 2015, 01:46 PM | 0 Comments

[do action=”fringe”/]

A 1907 Evening Capital newspaper article excerpt from Over the Bridge, a book about Eastport:

annapolis-maritime-antiques-store-frontThe handsome new bridge over Spa Creek, connecting the village of Eastport with Annapolis, was thrown open yesterday afternoon and is now in use for traffic. Everybody at Eastport is wearing that smile that won’t come off and everybody in Annapolis who has business in Eastport is equally pleased…The ferry that has been used since last December as a method of transportation for people and teams…was sent back to Baltimore yesterday.

Spa Creek separates the neighborhood of Eastport from the rest of the City. Primarily a residential area of town, Eastport is home to a large selection of popular restaurants and marinas.

Annapolis formally annexed Eastport in 1951. Today, even though there are no hard boundaries, the City’s Ward 8 is generally considered to be the location of Eastport – give or take a street or two.

In 1998, after repairs closed the Spa Creek bridge for an extended period of time, a fun marketing effort was created to get people to drive around Spa Creek to the Eastport peninsula and patronize the businesses there. It was then that the Maritime Republic of Eastport was created to promote the spirit of the area with some new traditions.

From the MRE web site:

Eastport has always boasted a proud history. Lafayette’s troops camped here on their way to defeat the British at Yorktown in 1781. In 1776, Fort Horn was built, protecting the harbor from invasion by the British fleets during the Revolutionary War and again during the War of 1812. The town of Eastport was established in 1868 and annexed into the City of Annapolis in 1951. Eastport continued to wallow under the shadow of Annapolis proper until the uprising on Independence Day, Sunday, Jan. 25, 1998.

Annapolis Maritime Antiques is located at Severn Avenue and 2nd Street in the heart of Eastport, and carries many items that help residents and visitors celebrate the history and spirit of Eastport.

[do action=”blackwall-hitch”/]

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Businesses, LIFE IN THE AREA

About the Author - EOA Staff

Eye On Annapolis is a community based site focusing strictly on Anne Arundel County. These staff postings are general news postings made by our team of bloggers throughout the day and are not attributed to any one particular staff person.

Connect with the Author

Author's Website Facebook Twitter YouTube rss feed