Last year the Chesapeake Bay Trust launched “Plate Perks,” a gratuity program designed to thank Marylanders who have a Treasure the Chesapeake license plate on their cars. The program itself is pretty simple: Marylanders who own a Bay plate receive perks or rewards from participating businesses that include preferred parking and discounts on goods and services. When this program launched, 11 businesses signed up to participate. Today that number has grown to 34 local companies that offer a myriad of services ranging from clothing discounts to free consultations and lessons to even complimentary bottles of wine.
“We created this program to say thank you to the more than 50,000 Marylanders who buy a Treasure the Chesapeake license plate each year,” said Molly Alton Mullins, director of communications at the Chesapeake Bay Trust. “We cannot believe how quickly this program has expanded and we are so pleased to see so many businesses wanting to participate and give back to help the Chesapeake Bay.”
The Plate Perks program was created to raise awareness for the valuable work the Chesapeake Bay Trust does and how sales of Maryland’s Treasure the Chesapeake license plates have a direct impact on improving the Bay. The Chesapeake Bay Trust, the nonprofit organization that receives funding from sales of the plate, last year awarded more than $9 million in grants to help restore the Chesapeake Bay and improve local communities. When Marylanders purchase a Treasure the Chesapeake license plate, a portion of proceeds are directed to the Chesapeake Bay Trust to fund on-the-ground restoration and education work.
In addition to the 11 original businesses (Bay Bred clothing, Bay Deejays, Boatyard Bar & Grill, Bowie Baysox, Chesapeake Bay Roasting Company, Eastport Shell, Homestead Gardens, Rams Head Roadhouse, Rams Head Shore House, Tommy Bahama of the Annapolis Mall, and Yellowfin Steak & Fish House), the following companies and incentives have been added:
- All Tackle: 10% off full price merchandise at both the Annapolis and Ocean City locations
- Annapolis Smokehouse and Tavern: 10% off when you spend $50 or more
- Capital SUP: One free SUP lesson
- CEM Design: A free one hour consultation on commercial or residential new construction, renovation, addition, or adaptive reuse
- Edgewater Fitness: $0 enrollment fee to anyone with a Plate Perks card
- Ellen Allen: One time 20% discount on handbags or accessories in store or online
- EuroMotorcars Bethesda: 10% off any auto repair
- Helly Hansen-Annapolis:15% off any full price merchandise
- Inn at Horn Point: Complimentary bottle of wine with your 2+ night reservation
- Jim Coleman Toyota: 10% off any one auto repair service
- National Aquarium of Baltimore: $10 off any aquarium membership
- Park Annapolis: Preferred parking for two Bay plate owners in three participating garages in Annapolis: the Hillman Parking Garage, the Knighton Garage and Gotts Garage
- Preston Hyundai: 10% off any service and 15% off any service over $100
- Preston Mazda: 10% off any service and 15% off any service over $100
- Preston Nissan: 10% off any service and 15% off any service over $100
- Respect the Locals: 5% off all online orders and 5% of each purchase will be given to the Chesapeake Bay Trust
- Route One Apparel: 15% off all online orders
- Tail and Trails: $2 off regularly priced walk; $1 off short walks for the first month of service
- Tours and Crawls: $2 off each ticket in both Annapolis and Baltimore
Businesses of any size are welcome to participate in the program and can structure a deal and/or incentive that works for their company. To date, more than 5,000 Plate Parks cards have been mailed to Bay plate owners who have signed up to receive their free membership card in the mail. If a Marylander does not own a Bay plate, they can purchase one online at bayplate.org for $20 which is mailed directly to their home. To find out more about the program and to sign up, visit bayplate.org.