The Maryland State Police (MSP) will host the 19th Annual Polar Bear Plunge and PlungeFest on Saturday, January 24, 2015 at Sandy Point State Park in Annapolis, Md. More than 10,000 from across the state will plunge into the Chesapeake Bay for a chilly dip to benefit Special Olympics Maryland (SOMD), which provides year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports events for children and adults with intellectual disabilities.
“The Polar Bear Plunge is a time-honored Maryland tradition, celebrating its 19th year in 2015,” said Jim Schmutz, Special Olympics Maryland President & CEO. “Over the past 18 years, the Plunge has raised nearly $25 million for Special Olympics Maryland, which has helped further our mission of transforming the lives of children and adults with intellectual disabilities. We are thankful for the amazing Chesapeake Bay community for its proud support of the Plunge, and for making this event an annual success.”
This winter-time event offers activities for participants of all ages, including:
Saturday, January 17
- Freeze Your Buns Run – If plunging into the Bay is not for you, the Freeze Your Buns Run is a 5K run/walk at Anne Arundel Community College in Arnold, Md., benefitting SOMD
Friday, January 23
- Super Plunge – A super-sized event that features a team of approximately 50 dedicated souls who brave the Bay every hour for 24 hours, beginning at 10:00 a.m. January 24, and finishing at 10:00 a.m. January 24
- Corporate Plunge – A Plunge challenge exclusively for corporate teams who are looking for a great team-building activity for a great cause. Corporate Plunge participants will Plunge at 3:00 p.m. and enjoy a tailgate-style atmosphere for an afternoon of camaraderie at the beach.
Saturday, January 24
- The Polar Bear Plunge – Offered at 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m., the Plunge remains the highlight of the weekend, with more than 10,000 participants expected in 2014. Participants in the Plunge solicit pledges from friends and family members in support of their chilly challenge.
- Pee-Wee Plunge – A special plunge designed for children ages 8 and under and their families. It takes place at 11:00 a.m. in a shallow kiddie pool that is lightly sprinkled with ice cubes
- PlungeFest – A free winter festival that offers fun for Plungers and spectators alike at Sandy Point State Park. PlungeFest activities include the Carnival FunFest Tent, Astro Events Kids Zone, a costume contest, the Rams Head Ice Lodge and Beer Garden and much more.”
Registration for the 2015 MSP Polar Bear Plunge is now open at www.PlungeMD.com.