On Sunday morning, 20,000 people will take off from the Annapolis side of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and head over to Kent Island. On foot! The Across the Bay 10K is an elite event brought to the area by the Dave McGillivray who manages and runs the famed Boston Marathon.
The eastbound span of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge will be closed at 2am on Sunday morning and remain closed until 2pm Sunday afternoon with several detours in effect and significant congestion expected. The runners will leave from the Northrop Grumman facility on the Western shore and wind up in the Chesapeake Bay Business Park on Kent Island.
The participants in the sold out event range from age 5 to 88 and hail from all 50 states and 13 countries.
There are four official charities for the event, including: Bosom Buddies Charities of Queen Anne’s County, The Chesapeake Bay Foundation, The Maryland Chapter of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (Team in Training) and The Yellow Ribbon Fund. In addition to the official charities, there are more than 20 additional charities raising awareness and funds by participating in the event.
The race will feature some VIPs who will take the challenge as well.
- General Stanley McChrystal, former Commander of Joint Special Operations Command and Commander of U.S. Forces in Afghanistan
- Councilman Chris Trumbauer, Anne Arundel County Councilman
- Jody Schulz, former NFL Player for the Philadelphia Eagles
- Secretary James T. Smith, Maryland Secretary of Transportation
- Paul Reed Smith, Music legend and founder of PRS Guitars, the 3rd largest guitar manufacturer in the world.
- Delegate Costa, Maryland House of Delegates
- Bruce Gartner, Executive Director of the MDTA
- Senator Edward Reilly, Maryland State Senate
- Delegate Cathleen Vitale, Maryland House of Delegates
The Eastbound span will close at 2am on Sunday for 12 hours. There will be two-way traffic on the westbound span, with one lane in each direction and the center lane closed unless needed to reduce westbound delays.
The following detours will be in effect:
The off-ramp from Route 50 eastbound to Route 8 will be closed during the event. A detour will direct motorists to the next exit at Thompson Creek Rd.
The on-ramp from southbound Route 8 to westbound Route 50 also will be closed during the race
Expect significant delays on both sides of the bridge.
For additional information please visit http://www.bridgerace.com.