February 8, 2023
Annapolis, US 62 F

Chemically assisted suicide in Glen Burnie

FINAL UPDATE:  The deceased has been identified as Mathew Ross Eitel of Glen Burnie. The cause of death has been determined by OCME to be suicide by Hydrogen Sulfide poisoning. Hydrogen Sulfide poisoning was a result of intentional mixing of common household cleaners. (Note: an earlier version of this article identified the victim as Matthew Russell Eddington. This was an incorrect name provided by the AACoFD. We regret the error.)

UPDATE:  From Lt. Russ Davies, PIO for the Anne Arundel County Fire Department, the victim was a 35 year old male who lived alone in a first floor apartment.

The incident was dispatched around 4pm for an odor of gas and first arriving crews recognized a sulphur odor. They located the source of the smell and forced entry into the apartment and discovered a note on the exterior of the bathroom door warning of the hazmat incident.  They discovered the deceased male in the bathroom and evacuated the rest of the apartment.

Two people were transported to area hospitals as a precaution with respiratory and high blood pressure complaints.

20 residents are currently displaced and will not be allowed to return until the morning when the toxicity levels subside. Fire crews are still on the scene ventilating the building and taking measurements.

Davies said that fumes were a result of a mixture of common household chemicals and there is no reason to believe there were any other industrial chemicals involved; however, the fire department is attempting to identify the exact chemicals. 

Residents advised authorities that they had seen the deceased earlier that afternoon as lat as 2:30pm or 3:00pm 

Anne Arundel County fire personnel responded to one of the most unusual incidents in recent memory this afternoon. Shortly after 5:00pm, emergency crews responded to an odor of gas call in the Burwood Senior Housing apartment building on Shelley Lane in Glen Burnie.

Chemical Suicide

It became obvious to responders that it was not gas, so a full hazardous materials response was dispatched. On arrival, crews discovered a note taped to the exterior door of an apartment indicating that the occupant was attempting to commit suicide by combining various chemicals. The ingredients were listed for responders.  Once access was made, the occupant was discovered deceased.

At least one other person was transported to an area hospital with unknown injuries.

Additional details will be provided as soon as they are available. Typically with a suicide, many details are not released, but due to the unusual circumstances, we believe there will be more information forthcoming.

[do action=”blackwall-hitch”/]

Previous Article

Chesapeake Arts Center adds new Board members

Next Article

Sexual assault, shots fired in Annapolis

You might be interested in …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *