At the Annual Nursing Celebration Dinner held May 9 at Anne Arundel Medical Center (AAMC), the AAMC Foundation awarded 14 scholarships totaling $70,000 to deserving AAMC nurses to further their education and careers. Scholarship recipients were selected based upon several criteria, including academic achievement, letters of recommendation, community involvement and financial need. The dinner celebrates nurses and recognizes their commitment to the community.
In addition, the Stroke Center was awarded the “Extraordinary Advances in Patient and Family Centered Care” Award through the generosity of an endowment from Dick and Janet Davidson. Davidson is former CEO of the American Hospital Association (AHA), serving from 1991 to 2007.
The scholarships are endowed through donations to the AAMC Foundation from individual and corporate supporters. They are designed to encourage and support AAMC employees currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate nursing programs.
“These scholarships will make a difference not only in the lives of the recipients, but they will have a lasting impact on our patients whose lives are touched by a nurse each and every day,” said Sherry Perkins, PhD, RN, chief nursing officer and chief operating officer, AAMC.
The Nursing Scholarship Endowment began in 1990 as a memorial to Marlene Reiter, a registered nurse at AAMC. Since then, and the AAMC Foundation has established an endowment fund, which has grown to $2 million and has distributed nearly $400,000 to 123 AAMC recipients by donations from community leaders and corporations.
Scholarship recipients are chosen by a committee that includes nurse managers, previous scholarship recipients, AAMC Foundation and other leaders within the organization.
This year’s recipients are:
- Sandra Aran of Severn – Sheehy Nursing $5,000 Scholarship
- Janet Ascione of Annapolis– Community Fund Nursing $5,000 Scholarship Award
- Amanda Brady of Owings– Al & Mary Vittek $5,000 Nursing Advancement Fund
- Stacey Cole of Davidsonville– John W. Gosselin$5,000 Nursing Scholarship
- Courtney Dupcak of Arnold– Izzo & Patane $5,000 Nursing Scholarship
- Silvia Faria of Annapolis– Gus & Marjorie Berlitz $5,000 Charitable Trust for Nursing Advancement & Excellence
- Erin Freitas of Gambrills– AAMC Medical Staff $5,000 Nursing Scholarship
- Dorothy Gallion of Annapolis– Gordon & Jean Wells $5,000 Nursing Scholarship
- Stephanie Harmon of Arnold– Shelley Alion and Robert Welch $5,000 Nursing Scholarship
- Alison Meador of Dunkirk– George and Patricia Benson$5,000 Nursing Scholarship
- Jennifer Smell of Odenton– Lillian Edgerton Lewis $5,000 Scholarship
- Kenya Smith of Upper Marlboro– Balfe Clifford $5,000 Nursing Scholarship
- Rachel Turner of Annapolis– Shirley A. Wheeler $5,000 Nursing Scholarship
- Charlotte Wallace of Arnold– $5,000 Grow-A- Nurse Scholarship
In addition to the scholarship recipients, the nurses took the time at the dinner to honor their outstanding partners with awards:
- Bruce Bolten, MD, OB Hospitalist— Outstanding Physician Partner
- AAMC Auxiliary— Clinical Colleague Excellence Award