Five additional schools will offer half-day prekindergarten programs next year, bringing to 41 the number of facilities that provide instruction to some of the county’s youngest students. Beginning in August, the following schools will join those offering prekindergarten programs:
● Brock Bridge Elementary School
● Glen Burnie Park Elementary School
● High Point Elementary School
● Shady Side Elementary School
● Southgate Elementary School
Parents who qualify can register their children for the 2012-2013 school year at the new locations beginning on May 1, 2012. Registration must be done in person at the school in which the child will be enrolled.
Children enrolling in prekindergarten must be 4 years old by September 1, 2012. The following documents are required when registering a child for prekindergarten:
● The child’s original birth certificate or birth record
● A copy of the child’s immunization record
● Two proofs of residency (rental or mortgage agreement and current utility bill)
Public prekindergarten programs in Maryland were established to improve the school readiness of children who are economically disadvantaged or homeless. If seats remain, schools may enroll students with other readiness needs.
Those applying for prekindergarten due to economic need must provide income eligibility verification by submitting one of the following:
● Federal Income Tax Return for 2011 (1040 statement) along with documentation related to other sources of income such as child support and/or rental income.
● Current award letter for Temporary Cash Assistance, Food Stamps, or the WIC program.
Information about enrollment, prekindergarten programs, alternative programs, and Levels of Maturity Waivers is available at www.aacps.org/earlychildhood. Information about the recommended immunizations for children entering school is available at www.cdc.gov/vaccines/.
Parents/guardians with further questions or individual concerns can contact the Anne Arundel County Public Schools Early Childhood Office at 410-222-5441.