Many Volunteer positions are available through the Volunteer Center For Anne Arundel County. If you do not see an opportunity below that fits your needs, contact the Volunteer Center at [email protected] or 410-897-9207. Check our Website: www.VolunteerAnneArundel.org. A few current volunteer opportunities are listed below.
The Arc of the Central ChesapeakeRegion
The Arc advocates for and supports County citizens with developmental disabilities. Volunteers are needed to help with fund raising, assist in the office, with special events. Volunteers, 16 years and older, are also needed as gardening assistants at the Arc’s sensory garden in Annapolis, including plant care, patio maintenance, planting trees/shrubs, etc. and to help with leaf and yard maintenance at 30 homes the Arc manages throughout the County. Volunteers are also needed for painting at the homes and yard work for all of the spring and summer at the Spa Road office. Contact Angie DeMoreland at (410) 268-8085 or (410) 269-1883, or e-mail: [email protected]. Website: www.thearcccr.org. Special event:
- · 6:00 PM–9:00 PM, Tues. March 27, 2012, Annual Awards Ceremony and Banquet: The Arc is accepting nominations in several categories to honor those in the disability community who have made a difference in the disability community and personified the Arc’s Core Values. The event will be held at the Annapolis Sheraton Hotel. For more information about the award categories, nomination forms, and to attend the event, contact Angie Demoreland at [email protected] or (410) 268-8085 or (410) 269-1883. Nominations are due by Feb. 21, 2012.
Bay Theatre Company
The Bay Theatre is a professional, nonprofit repertory theatre company founded in 2002 in Annapolis to produce plays of superior quality and richness for audiences of diverse ages and cultures. There is an immediate need for a House volunteer/manager. They would come on show nights at 6pm and organize to make sure everyone is in place, the audience gets in their seats smoothly etc. For more information contact Janet Luby at [email protected] or call 410-268-1333. Web site: www.baytheatre.org.
Friends of Kinder Farm Park
9:00 AM– 1:00 PM (or later), Sat., Feb 11 and 25, 2012, Farmhouse Renovation: The Friends of Kinder Farm Park is a non-profit volunteer group of citizens working to enhance this county park in Millersville off of Jumpers Hole Rd. Volunteers are needed to help with the interior renovation of a 1925 farmhouse in February 2012. There will be a need for “hammer users” as well as people to haul debris to a dumpster. We also need some furniture moved upstairs. Gloves and masks will be provided. There also may be future dates when help will be needed. For more information, contact Diane Rausch, Historical Society of Kinder Farm Park, at or 410- 222- 6115 or 410-647-8927 or [email protected]. See website: www.kinderfarmpark.org.
Hospice of the Chesapeake
Hospice of the Chesapeake is a nonprofit organization that helps families care for terminally ill loved ones in their homes or a home-like setting or wherever they need care. The Hospice is announcing a Volunteer Information Night for prospective volunteers from 7-9 p.m. on Wednesday, February 15, 2012. in their Annapolis Office located at 445 Defense Highway. Staff and volunteers will discuss the many interesting volunteer opportunities available. Light refreshments will be served. For more information or to register, please contact Kathy Bourgard, Director of Volunteers at 443-837-1549 or [email protected]
Homeless Resource Day, Saturday, March 31, 2012
This “one-day, one stop” event is being held at Glen Burnie High School for individuals and families experiencing homelessness so they can access benefits, medical care, substance abuse resources, mental health counseling, and a variety of social services which can ultimately lead to housing and self-sufficiency. You can help by donating your time, goods, services, or money. For additional information and to sign up visit website: www.volunteerannearundel.org, or contact Tanya Steele at 410-269-4462 or [email protected].
• 4–8 pm, Fri., Mar. 30, 2012, Resource Day Setup: Volunteers, age 15 and older, are needed to help with set up and receiving, sorting and organization of donations and giveaways.
• 7:30 am–3:30 pm, Sat., Mar. 31, 2012, Resource Day: Volunteers, age 18 and up, are needed, in shifts, to provide guidance to attendees, assist service providers, and help with distribution of donations. A 1 and ½ hour training session is required for all Saturday volunteers.
• 4-8 pm, Sat., Mar. 31, 2012, Resource Day Takedown: Volunteers, age 15 and older, are needed to help with takedown activities such as folding and stacking of tables, cleanup, etc.
Maryland Therapeutic Riding
Located in Crownsville, Maryland Therapeutic Riding (MTR) is a Premier Accredited Therapeutic Riding Center that offers therapeutic horseback riding lessons for children and adults with special needs. Volunteers, ages 14 and up, assist with riding lessons and are needed throughout the week to assist with horse care, barn and facility maintenance. Volunteers are also needed to assist with special events, serve on committees including fund raising, and general office duties. All volunteers are required to attend a training session prior to beginning their volunteer service. If you would like to attend an upcoming training session, please call Volunteer Coordinator Katie Spohn at 410-923-1187 or email [email protected]. Visit our website at www.horsesthatheal.org for volunteer training schedules and downloadable volunteer application.
- · 2:00–5:00pm, Saturdays, Mar. 3, and May 12, 2012, Volunteer Orientation Sessions: Registration is required and dates are subject to change. Contact Katie Spohn to sign up.
- · 5:00– 10:00pm, Sat., May 7, 2012, Derby Day Party: Sponsors, attendees, and volunteers are being sought for this gala fundraiser. There will be video horse racing, betting, a hat contest, music, food and drink, and live and silent auctions. For more information visit website at www.horsesthatheal.org.
My Brother’s Pantry
This nonprofit, located on the grounds of College Parkway Baptist Church in Arnold is supported by nine area congregations to provide food for families in crisis because of unemployment or disabilities. Volunteers are needed to work in the food pantry and to donate food and other items. Call 410-757-5190.
Operation Military Kids
Operation: Military Kids is the U.S. Army’s collaborative effort with America’s communities to support the children and youth impacted by deployment. This initiative was officially launched in April 2005. In 2009 over 150,000 youth participated in experiences conducted by state OMK teams in 49 states and DC. Maryland Partners include but are not limited to Boys and Girls Clubs of America, Girl Scouts, National Guard Youth and Family Programs, Army Reserve Child, Youth, and School Services, University of Maryland Extension 4-H Youth Development, American Legion Auxiliary, and the Columbia Association of Howard County. The program has volunteer opportunities that include workshop facilitators, community outreach contacts, activity coordinators and fundraisers. For more information contact Jayne Fitzgerald at [email protected]. See web site: www.operationmilitarykids.org
Race to Stop the Silence, April 29, 2012 (Washington, DC)
Stop the Silence, Inc. is a non-profit organization with a mission to expose and stop child sexual abuse and help survivors heal worldwide through comprehensive programming. A variety of volunteers of all ages are needed prior to and on race day, which is at 9:00 am, Sat., Apr. 29, 2011, to prepare for and manage the 8th Annual National Race to Stop the Silence (8K Race, 5K Fun Run/Walk, Kids’ Fun Run) in Washington, DC, which increases awareness and raises funds for the organization. Help is needed before the race with mailings, packet pick up, and goodie bag preparation. The day of the race, volunteers are needed at registration beginning at 7:00 am, to oversee food distribution and awards & prizes, and with course monitoring. For more information, see web site at www.stopcsa.org/race.html for volunteer sign up link or contact Pamela Pine at [email protected].