Herb McMillan For Anne Arundel County Executive

Pit Bulls Attack Jogger In Davidsonville

| November 28, 2011, 06:09 PM | 12 Comments

<–To share this post, please click the icons to the left. There is still one put bull believed to be at large in the area. Please share this with your facebook friends, twitter followers and Google.

UPDATE 09:14PM November 28, 2011: From the Anne Arundel County Police, the missing pit bull has been recovered. Police are still seeking the owner/handler.

On November 28, 2011 at approximately 1330 hours Anne Arundel County Police responded to the Davidsonville Park in the 3100 block of Patuxent River Road for an aggressive animal complaint. The victim, a 23 year old male, was jogging through the park when he was attacked by three (3) pit bull dogs. The dogs were all on leash and being handled by a Black male. During the attack, the Black male fled the area with one dog (unknown description on dog). Animal Control was able to locate and recover one dog from the park (a white dog with tan markings), but there is still one pit bull loose in the area. The missing dog is white in color with tan markings on its face, and it should still have a dark collar and leash attached.

The victim is currently in Anne Arundel Medical Center being treated for wounds to his arms and legs. The Black male dog handler is in his mid 20’s, has some facial hair, wearing a green jacket and sunglasses. He was also wearing a Green Bay Packers baseball hat that was recovered at the scene. He was possibly seen leaving the area in a gold colored minivan with a white logo. Please contact Police immediately if the missing dog is located. Please contact Southern District Police at 410-222-1960 with any information to identify the dog handler that fled the scene.

Source: AACoPD

Tags: , ,

Category: Breaking News, Crime News, NEWS, Post To FB

1. Meredith says:

Awful. An incompetant dog owner at a popular park often teeming with children! I love to walk my dog there, but he is very gentle. This attack may close the park to all dogs because of someone who could not control his animals. But that would be preferable to any further attacks. We need to keep our children safe!

2. Jenn says:

They were actually American Bull Dogs according to animal control…perhaps checking of facts as opposed to another story attacking pit bulls as this writer so often likes to do. I find it very funny however that this story made it into the Capital and this website while a very serious car accident on 50 west yesterday did not. Solid reporting on the real issues though.

Jenn—if you will notice, the “pit bull” term was the one used in the police release. Unlike The Capital, we do not have a large staff that is able to report in every issue. We did not hear of a serious accident on Route 50 yesterday. We do miss stories.

“This writer” does not like to do attacking stories on pit bulls. There have been two instances where people have been attacked by dogs. It was newsworthy.

4. Katie says:

John- As a reporter is it not your job to check the facts, not just take a report from another source and use it as fact? If it’s that easy to be a reporter these days, clearly I’m in the wrong profession. You may claim to not like writing attacking stories on pit bulls, however if that were truly the case you wouldn’t use the most vicious stock photo of the breed in your report. Yes, animal attacks happen and it’s sad, but let’s place the blame where the blame is due, on the irresponsible owner, not the dog. Keep in mind; dogs are like kids their behavior is learned, not inherent. It’s time to stop attacking a breed for the carless behavior of the owners and it’s especially time for the press to stop assuming that every dog attack is from a pit bull or “pit bull type” when a majority of people couldn’t pick a pit bull out of a line up.

First, I am not a reporter. We distribute news (aggregating) from many sources, offer opinion, and occasionally will have original stories and more traditional “reporting functions”. I do believe that the Anne Arundel County Police Department is a viable source. As to the photo–there was an attack of dogs on a jogger. We rely on graphics to a degree. Somehow I am not sure a photo of Paris Hilton’s chihuahua in it’s pink doghouse would be any more appropriate.

I agree that the owner is largely responsible. And to a degree, I agree that dogs can be like kids. When the teems were throwing rocks at pedestrians, I used a photo of a rock crashing through a car windshield. There is no bias towards pit bulls.

There was no assumption on our part of the breed. Had the police report said, three stray dogs attacked, you would not have seen “put bull” in the article. However, it was reported (and I do believe that there might be an error in The Capital as there were two answers as to breed given) that it was a pit bull.

Perhaps the pit bull defenders should take a more proactive approach and embark on some education. Maybe the AKC or CKC can get involved and demonstrate how loving they are and how they are as non aggressive as any other dog and how it is entirely the fault of the owner. It seems that the pit bull supporters remain very quiet despite the ongoing reputation and come out in force when an incident happens.

I will stand by my June opinion that the incidence of pit bulls and attacks is greater than other breeds. Just this year, there have been several in the county alone. Insurers will not insure homes with pit bulls, municipalities will not allow them. This is not all the media’s fault.

6. Jenn says:

In the Capital is says the dogs were identified as American Bull dogs by Animal Control, who might have a better handle than the average AA Co. patrol officer. Pit bull attacks maintain much more frequently reported and turned into news than any other attacks. My mothers dog was killed by a lab than ran loose attacking people and other pets and it certainly never made police beat or the newspaper. While it is still the owners responsibility, perhaps there should be higher requirements for owning a dog as opposed to it just being a right for everyone regardless of their ability to properly care for or train said animal.

7. Katie says:

Okay, so you aren’t a reporter, you’re a blogger. While there may not have been an assumption on the part of the breed on your part, because you took the article from another source, don’t you feel any responsibility for reposting something that might not have accurate information? Had in fact been 3 stray dogs, would you still have utilized the same graphics?? As for Pitbull defenders taking a more proactive approach, if you took the time to google it, you would see that there are several groups out there doing JUST THAT. In fact, here’s a great article to prove the point. http://www.examiner.com/dogs-in-national/award-leaves-pit-bull-owner-tears?CID=examiner_alerts_article

I read your June article and actually think that it helps prove the point, “While I have not been attacked by a Pit Bull, I have been approached and felt threatened by several in my immediate neighborhood. In one instance, two of them were running free and when they saw me walking my dog, made an immediate beeline across a road toward us growling. They paid no attention to traffic and caused a car to brake hard to not hit the dogs. I picked up my dog and shooed them away with my foot.” If these dogs are all so vicious and deadly do you think that you could have just shooed it away with your foot? You should also read the articles about the dogs that were in Michael Vick’s care and are now being used as service dogs. It’s a perfect example of how dogs that were used in fighting and taught to be terrible, could be turned around by someone’s loving hand

8. Jen Krause says:

John – I APPLAUD your efforts in notifying us (who care more about human beings than dogs) that this happened in a normally safe and enjoyable park. I hope you have a thick skin because those who have vilified you did a thorough job. Shame on them for shooting the messenger.

And… for what it’s worth, the stock photo you used is okay by me… I have the basic intelligence of a mature adult; therefore, I knew instantly it was a stock photo. It really didn’t cross my mind for even one second that you managed to be there during the attack and snap one amazing photo while the jogger was being mauled. DUH.

As for FACTS… if anyone wants to quote the Capital as being an infallible and factual source… sorry to disappoint you but seasoned journalists are known to take police reports as they stand ALL THE TIME. And the crab wrapper known as the Capital is well known for its errors. How do we know the reporter didn’t misquote the animal control “expert”? And… does it really matter?

One of your readers hit the nail on the head… there are CHILDREN playing in that park. Can you even imagine the damage three such animals could do to a child? When is it okay to take vicious dogs into a park where there are people jogging, roller blading, walking… and children playing – NEVER, that’s when. Why do some people want to defend vicious dogs? I couldn’t begin to tell you. Why do people want to OWN vicious dogs? I could tell you but the mail would never stop!

When I read your story, I took note that a jogger using the park – as it was intended – was attacked by three large dogs who were more than their “handler” could control. That they were identified as Pit Bulls rather than American Bulldogs is not really relevant. That the handler had the dogs on leash is commendable but that hardly does the young man who was attacked any good. For the record… for those who do not know the difference between Pit Bulls and American Bulldogs… there are three distinct types of American Bulldogs – Bully, Standard and Hybrid. American Bulls are COMMONLY mistaken for Pit Bulls. Period. They can be aggressive and they have powerful jaws. They look a lot alike and they both happen to have the word “BULL” in their name. It IS a different breed, but the damage to the young man is the same nevertheless. Vicious dogs are vicious dogs. Some breeds have a natural tendency to be aggressive. Some breeds are unpredictable. Some have been trained to be vicious… for whatever psycho reason the owner may have. Such animals do not belong in a park – ever. ONE such animal on a leash would be difficult to control. Three is insanity.

The young man who brought his dogs to the park should be fined heavily. At the very least, the dogs should be removed from his care and placed in a facility to determine if they are dangerous… something most of us already think we know. Should they be euthanized? I won’t go there… but the bigger question is what do WE as a society do to protect innocent people from attacks like these? Think children, folks. There is not a dog on the planet that is worth the life of a child. And if you want to argue that point… you will only paint yourself unfavorably.

Keep up the good work, John. And thanks for the heads up on the attack.

9. Meredith says:

Thank you, Jen Krause, for “getting” it and articulating the relevant issues so well. I was dumbfounded that so many commenters were arguing over what breed it was and how John should be doing his job, when the real issue was dogs out of control at a park frequented by children, and one dog still at large as of the time of the posting.
    As both a parent of a child who plays at the park and a dog owner who likes to take our pet there for walks, the #1 concern is safety to the children. Rights of dogs and their owners is only a distant second concern. I love my dog as one of our family, but any child’s welfare must take precedence.
    I feel awful for the jogger who was attacked, and it makes me think twice now about whether to take my dog back there. 1. My dog is big and friendly, but I ‘m sure he’d be no match against 3 aggressive dogs in pack attack mode. 2. His eager friendliness toward folks we meet on the paths may actually be unwelcome and unnerving to them, especially more so after this episode.
    It goes back to the owner who mistakenly imagined he could control his three dogs in a public setting. No matter what the breed, once there is more than one dog in a situation they have the potential to go into pack instinct mentality. I do wish there was an educational component required before dog ownership is permitted.
    Thanks to John for reporting this, to Eye On Annapolis, and Annapolis, Maryland on Facebook for bringing the incident to our attention. As an editor for science publications, I appreciate there is a time and place for primary reporting and fact checking, but when the purpose is to simply pass breaking news along quickly, vilification of the messenger reflects badly on those who engage in it.

10. Ed says:

John – Thank you for consolidating stories of local interest in one, easy to read, spot. For your detractors, hey, rather than waste your energy complaining here go start your own site…

Thanks for your kind words! Cheers!