<------

Opinion: When Pit Bulls Attack

| June 21, 2011, 12:59 PM | 28 Comments

<–please share this opinion with your facebook friends and twitter followers by using the icons to the left.

It can’t be denied that we have seen a rise in “incidents” involving Pit Bull dogs. There was not one, but two recent incidents in Anne Arundel County where a Pit Bull was shot by a person who felt threatened. Earlier this year, a woman was mauled in Gambrills by several Pit Bulls owned by her granddaughter.  And in Baltimore there was another recent Pit Bull attack on an elderly woman. Earlier this year, a 7-year old was mauled by two dogs sending her to the hospital in critical condition. Here’s a July 2009 story about a Pit Bull attack on an animal rescue ranch (sorry, The Capital has a stupid policy of not  allowing people to read their articles indefinitely, you need an archive account to read entire article). The stories are plentiful.

Pit Bull Incidents Lead Other Breeds

The Severna Park Patch ran an article that cited Anne Arundel County officials’ claims that Pit Bull incidents outnumber other incidents by a two to one margin. Based on the recent news, it is hard to dispute that finding. We do not hear of too many attacks by Golden Retrievers, Irish Setters, Labradors, etc. Although many left comments defending the Pit Bull, a simple google search tends to uphold the 2 to 1 ratio.

Pit Bull attack:

Pit Bull attacks

German Shepherd attack:

German Shepherd Attacks

Golden Retriever attack:

Golden Retriever Attack

Pit Bull Legislation

The problem has become enough of an issue that many municipalities, and even countries have banned the animal. Locally, Pit Bulls are illegal in Prince George’s County unless they are born before February 1997.

Pit Bulls born after February 3, 1997, are illegal and must be removed from the County.

For Pit Bulls owned prior to February 3, 1997, owners must provide written proof of ownership which could include rabies certificate, veterinarian bill, or other similar documentation. Pit Bulls owned prior to February 3, 1997, must be maintained within a building or kennel at all times. When outside, Pit Bulls must be kept under control of an adult and secured by an unbreakable or unseverable leash. Violations of the Pit Bull Law will result in fines up to $1,000 or a sentence of not more than six months imprisonment.

Is it time for Anne Arundel County to take a look at legislating the breed? How many more incidents is acceptable?

Personal Experience

While I have not been attacked by a Pit Bull, I have been approached and felt threatened by several in my immediate neighborhood. In one instance, two of them were running free and when they saw me walking my dog, made an immediate beeline across a road toward us growling. They paid no attention to traffic and caused a car to brake hard to not hit the dogs. I picked up my dog and shooed them away with my foot.

Another instance involved another Pit Bull who is normally kept in a wooden fence. Each time I wodl pass by the fence with my dog, the Pit Bull would be growling and gnawing at the boards in an attempt to get out. One day, he was able to get most of the board off and stuck his head through the hole he had chewed and tried to squeeze through. He was unsuccessful and the owner came out and restrained the dog and ultimately repaired the fence–which is again being gnawed upon.

The Pit Bull proponents will argue that they are loving dogs and blame the owners for the dog’s behavior. To a degree there is some truth in that. However, the facts seem to indicate that Pit Bull attacks are much more prevalent than any other breed and anecdotal evidence suggests that the percentage of “bad” Pit Bulls versus “good” ones is higher than that of other breeds.

Have you had a run in with a Pit Bull? What are your thoughts? Is it time to make them illegal here in Anne Arundel County?

This is a video of an attack in Washington, DC. While the voice-over is a bit dramatic, the images speak for themselves.

Tags: ,

Category: OPINION

1. Elise Cullinane says:

i am intensely angered by this article. PIT BULLS are not bad dogs!!!!! you have to look at the way in which they are raised! bully breeds are hard-headed stubborn animals, they need a strong owner with lots of experience. when inexperienced people own intense breeds like bullies then incidents like these occur. My pitbull, Valentine, is the biggest baby you’ll ever meet. she wants nothing more than to be in your lap, licking your face, and getting her tummy rubbed. I have been attacked by Shih Tzus, Golden Retrievers, Labs, Huskies, Mutts, Pugs, Schnauzers, Fox Terriers, Chihuahuas, Weimmeranners, German Shepherds, Border Collies AND MORE!!!! I have worked in the veterinary field for years, and have NEVER EVER EVER encountered an outwardly aggressive Pit Bull. when walking past a fence, you must consider that any dog can be territorial. YOu also have to think about the person who owns that dog. They could be beign neglected, never felt the loving touch of a human, be beaten and abuse,d or even TRAINED to fight or be aggressive. Any dog, in a bad situation, can be a bad dog. When a PITBULL is raised, trained, and loved properly, they are very very sweet, loving dogs. yes they are strong, yes they are stubborn! My 2.5 year old girl loves to ‘humpf’ at me when i make her lay on her bed. she objects, but she listens. she is stubborn, and in her ‘teenage’ years. PITBULLS can be hard to control and contain because of their strong-willed ways, but they are NOT AUTOMATICALLY AGGRESSIVE AND MEAN!!!! please please PLEASE do not BAN a breed! no breed deserves to be banned, it is so closed-minded to do so! Anne Arundel County needs to have more respect for their residents, and let us control our animals. tighter animal control laws and punishment for those who abuse would be better. teach your residents how to properly own an animal by enforcing laws ALL ACROSS THE BOARD do not discriminate against one breed!!! I have been bitten by more German Shepherds than any other breed. I do not trust them, and never will, because that is my experience. if you can’t handle a pitbull, don’t own one. but do NOT discriminate against my baby girl’s breed – because two days ago i was in petsmart, and she licked a young girls face and her mother said ‘wow that’s a pitbull? i thought they were nasty’ and i said ‘no it’s about the individual dog.” so we’re going to BAN a type of person from Anne Arundel because they like to break into houses? no we are not. we punish the individual. you will not fix the ‘bad pet owner’ issue in Anne Arundel County by banning one breed. trust me.

2. Alexa says:

Very well said! I do not have a pit bull but have a hyper boxer-mix. If a dog isn’t given an outlet for it’s energy, they can become destructive and aggressive. Treat your dog right, train it and give it the discipline and exercise they need and they’ll be great pets and part of the family/

3. Becky says:

I’m sorry but I don’t agree at all. It is a known fact that pit bulls are extremely head strong and dominating. This is stressed over and over again by professional dog trainers, rescue volunteers, etc… someone owning a pit bull needs to be the Alpha in the house and put the dog in check at all times.

The reason there are so many incidents and what seems like aggressive behavior is because of the owner’s neglect and stereotyping the breed….the owners are not teaching these dogs how to behave and not socializing them with other dogs. And the people stereotyping need to do their homework on the breed….meaning research the breed and not “stats”.

If these owners were to take them to obedience 101 and socialize the dogs I think most people would see a completely different side of the breed and maybe their eyes would open and say “hey this breed isn’t so bad”

I am going to California next week, I am volunteering at Villalobos Rescue Center (Pit Bulls and Parolees on Animal Planet) I am not in the least bit afraid to go volunteer with them…I know first hand how gentle and loving a Pit can be and am super excited to go!

4. Becky says:

Amen!

5. Lisa Gebbia says:

There is an unfortunate bias being created by sensationalized media against pit bulls. I don’t deny that the these recent attacks were preventable and I feel very sorry for the families of the victims. But the owners are certainly not blameless — they allowed their dogs to wander freely, they didn’t train them properly, they weren’t in charge.

I chose to adopt a pit bull last year, and I don’t regret it in the least. I have two young children and they are definitely in charge of our dog. They can put him in his cage on command (when someone comes to the door or we’re leaving to go out). They can walk him on the leash without him pulling at all.

We are constantly working on his training and we take him to the dog park so he can interact with other dogs. The fact is, any dog needs training on proper behavior. And training is ALWAYS ongoing — you can’t stop it once they’ve learned the behavior, it needs to be reinforced all the time.

Too many people neglect their pets and their training. That’s fine for a tiny dog who growls and bites with tiny teeth — they won’t get breed banned, but big dogs can’t be neglected. If you are not going to put the energy into a well behaved dog, don’t get one who can hurt people!

6. Jason says:

There a few things here. First saying “pit bulls” attack more than another dog is misleading bc pit bulls are a grouping of dogs including the American staffordshire terrier, American pit bull terrier, bull terriers, press canarios and often in the media just any dog w short fur and a big head. It’s like saying Fords are involved in more car accidents than jettas. Well of course…Often, and court cases have shown that dogs are often misidentified as a pit bull by police and people and reporters.
    Second there are straight up more pit bulls now than before. Does anyone wonder why there were far more Doberman pinscher attacks in the 80’s but are way less now? Sheer numbers. Since we all agree that all dogs bite, the most abundant dog is statistically going to be involved in more bites.
    thirs Banning anything is a bad idea. It forces them further underground into worse conditions and lumps good loving loyal pets in with bad ones. Often it removes good dogs from good owners and the bad owners and law breakers just continue to own these dogs regardless, hiding them making them More antisocial and dangerous in the process.
    Bites are bad and almost always preventable but dogs and thief owners should A. Be held responsible, and B treated as individuals.
    Take my dad for example he is a letter carrier in Dorchester mass and it’s not the best section of the world and he has encountered and been scared of and by many put bulls, but he loves my pit bill and my pit bull loves him. He would never lump those dogs of irresponsible jerk off owners who encourage aggressive behaviors, with my loving family pet. This is the problem with breed specific legislation, there are so many loving pets that will either be pushed undergroun or killed bc of the actions of a few dumb ass owners who want to look and act tough and use and mistreat these animals to be an aggressive extension of thier penises because they thought the dog barking inthe DMX video looked cool.
    Those people have nothing to do with me or my family…
    Lastly is the cost. BSL uses up police resources and tax payer dollars are wasted enforcing these laws which often target good dogs.
    Pit bull people, we need to be constructive and work w the community, don’t attack the blogger bc he is voicing a concern. We all need to worktogether, community, putrid lovers, cops, vets, rescue operations,, SPCA workers to live in a prosperous fear free but loving pit bull full world.
    Sorry for the length but I’m passionate about BSL and pit bull fear mongering.
    Thanks
    Jason

7. Jason says:

Sorry for those typos it was iPhone autocorrect, should be pit bull lovers not putrid lovers, and pit bulls not bills or whtever else.

8. Emily says:

I have next-door neighbors – very nice people – who have chosen to foster a number of dogs before these dogs have been placed in permanent care. I am very happy that families such as these are willing to take in dogs that could otherwise be harmed or abandoned, but there is a place for everything, and a densely-populated area such as this is just not the place.

Unfortunately, two of these foster dogs have been pit bulls. I say “unfortunately” only because of the behavior I have witnessed in these dogs. Even though the caring foster home “parents” took in these dogs at a few months of age, the dogs have shown continued outward aggression toward my dog and, more alarmingly, my young children since they have lived next door. We have a fenced yard, as do my neighbors, and on multiple occasions the dogs have gone over or under a 4-foot-high chain-link fence, snarling, while my children were in the yard. This is unacceptable. This couple is expecting a child of their own soon, and I can only hope that they do not wind up as the subjects of a dog-attach story.

When these folks first moved in, I was unconcerned about the dogs, as I believed that dogs’ temperaments had much to do with training as well as breeds’ traits. However, now I am much more concerned about the inherited traits that these dogs are displaying.

9. cliff b says:

I hate to say this but a rotwieler in my neighborhood just bit a kids EAR OFF over the weekend……..where’s the story? they went to the er, gave a report, animal control was called to take the dog…………….WHERE’s THE NEWS PEOPLE AT?

ask your friends what type of dogs they have been bitten by, and I doubt that ‘pit bulls’ would be the main answer. and keep in mind that the genaric term of ‘pitbull’ is a LARGE group of MULTIPUL BREEDS. you cant compare about 5-6 COMMON breeds of dog…lumped into one and compare to a way less common of a dog. if you go off of real ratios then the german shephard is the most likely to bite.

10. Becky says:

Emily, then they are not “good” foster parents and shouldn’t be fostering a bully breed…as a foster parent they should be educated enough to know that the breed they are fostering needs a strong Alpha figure in the home.

Again it comes back to the human that is keeping the dogs…if they have had them from an early age then they should have worked with them as well…instead I am sure they are just letting the dogs “live” there so to speak until a furever home is found…responsible foster parents should work towards getting the dog ready for it’s furever home.

I hear all the reasons but I do have to ask why are there entities that are making them illegal? PG County, Denver, CO, Ontario Canada!

Is it that legislators in these jurisdictions have it in for pit bulls? I doubt it. I suspect that they have seen too many incidents of violence.

Not scientific by any means, but look at the examples in google. The number of shepherds and retrievers added together does not even total the pit bull. Now I realize that is not actual bites, etc. But it is representative of the issiue.

Just an observation that there have been very few clicks on the links that back up my opinion.

13. elise says:

I’m saddened that there are people posting here who have ‘googled’ dog fights haha what do you THINK is going to come up???!!! The stuff with the most hits and most drama which is going to be the garbage that labels ‘pitbulls’
    Emily, your neighbor shouldn’t foster dogs, period, if they cannot control them. I fostered a chow mix who was showing signs of aggression, and he went back to the rescue because I couldn’t break his bad habits. ‘Pitbull’ has NOTHING to do with it!!!
    Bad breeding can develop personality issues, inbreeding makes dogs psychotic. This can happen in ANY breed.

Elise–but, how is it that many others outside of this site are seeing an issue with the breed. I do not deny that owners have a large say in the temperament of any dog, but why is it that the preponderance of the attacks, fights, etc are surrounding pit bull-ish dogs?

There are many other breeds deemed “aggressive” including German Shepherds, Dobermans, and Rottweilers, yet you are not hearing about them. The AKC lists Shepherds(2), Dobermans(14) and Rottweilers(11) in terms of popularity. (Link) The American Staffordshire Terrier (proper name according to the AKC) ranks it #70 in terms of popularity out of 167. The question remains is how does an “average” popular breed move to the top of the list in terms of aggression? I find it hard to believe that that all of the reported incidents are indeed inaccurate.

15. Becky says:

Ok so since you want to ban a breed…how specific are you going to be? Is the ban for ALL bully breeds…which include the American Pit Bull Terrier, English Bull Dog, American Bull Dog, Olde English Bull Dog, French Bull Dog, Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog, Valley Bulldog, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Mastiff and Bull Terrier (Spuds McKenzie for those that don’t know what one looks like), etc…

Bully breeds are known for exactly that…being bully…they are like human children and need discipline…if there is no discipline then there is chaos…

16. Becky says:

In 1835, the British Parliament put an end to bullbaiting, a sadistic form of entertainment in which dogs were pitted against bulls, usually with a bad end for both. With bullbaiting outlawed, dog fighting in pits took its place. Both sports required tenacious, fearless, muscular, agile dogs with strong jaws, a high pain threshold and a fight-to-the-death attitude — but also an easygoing and loyal disposition toward humans. Aficionados crossed mastiff-type bulldogs with a variety of working terriers, resulting in a number of different types of dogs, all bred for basically the same purpose: gameness in the fighting pit. From http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-magazines/popular-dogs/articlebullybreeds.aspx

There you have it…the reason these dogs get the rep that they do…

Astoundingly, for most of our history America’s nickname for Pit Bulls was “The Nanny Dog”. For generations if you had children and wanted to keep them safe you wanted a pit bull, the dog that was the most reliable of any breed with children or adults. From http://www.ywgrossman.com/photoblog/?p=676

There you have it…the side of the “pit bull” that no one gets to see….

17. Lisa Gebbia says:

But the UKC lists the American Pitbull Terrier as #2 as a breed. The AKC doesn’t recognize the American Pitbull Terrier as a breed. So it’s not an “average” popular breed to one group, as opposed to another.

In addition, these are “registered” dogs that are listed. How many people bother to register if they aren’t showing them or breeding them? I don’t care if my dogs are registered, and I have adopted my pets from rescues so I don’t know that I can even register them without DNA testing.

18. Lisa Gebbia says:

By the way, why is there an angry face next to my comment? I’m not angry at your article, just saddened by it.

I am not sure a “ban” is the answer. Apparently relying on responsible owners is not working out so something needs to be done. This conversation is good. There are good points being made on all sides.

IT’s a random thing

21. Emily says:

“Anyone who puts this label on ‘pitbulls’ is an ignoramous. Completely and entirely close-minded and discriminatory!!!! Are you racist and sexist, too?!”

Wow, speaking of aggressive…

If you read closely, you will note that I said that I didn’t have any problem with these dogs *until I actually saw the problem*. I do not believe that there is anything wrong with making a judgment based on my own experience. I could certainly go on about additional negative experiences I have had. I would never say that *all* dogs of a certain breed have this problem, but *in my experience*, they have.

22. Becky says:

There needs to be a harsher punishment for the irresponsible owners…if these people are getting fines and possibly jail time maybe they would reconsider getting a dog “because it looks cool”…

23. Lisa Gebbia says:

I think enforcing licensing laws could be a good start. When I lived in Florida, I took my dog to the vet for the first time and I was required to purchase a license. The vet then transmitted these funds to the county. I needed to prove she was licensed to use the dog park (the fence had a combination lock).

The revenue brought in could be huge and could allow better enforcement of other animal control violations.

Anne Arundel County requires all pets are licensed but only enforces the requirement when the dog is picked up by animal control. I doubt even half the animals in the county carry their required license.

24. Lisa says:

How frustrating that people continue to be so narrow-minded and prejudiced based on google and some bad press. Dogs are like children. There are good ones and bad ones. It is up to the parents to nurture and develop personalities. Granted, some innate qualities exist. Nature/nurture is another discussion. However, as the parent of two young children and a 3 1/2 year old Jack Russell terrorist and a five month old pit mix rescue–I think you should take some time and meet some individuals before you go throwing out an entire breed. Chester, my pup, is the sweetest, gentlest, mild-mannered dog–everything the Jack is not. When i adopted him three months ago, two people in my office threw fits. One threatened to quit. They are now his biggest fans!!!
    Stop making judgments via the web. Get out and visit a rescue center like BARCS!!!
    As an aside, my daughter was attacked by a yellow lab mix four years ago. Police, ambulance, ER, the whole deal. Sam the naughty dog was tied to a restaurant railing while his owners were enjoying lunch. My kids went to pet him just as a large truck drove by–pandemonium ensued. Her scars will stay with her forever, as will her love for dogs. It was a bad day. We didn’t go out and protest yellow labs or mutts either.

25. Elisa says:

I don’t usually respond to these types of things, but since I strongly oppose any breed ban in the area, I feel the need to put my two cents in. This is an “Opinion” piece after all.

We adopted a pitt mix from the SPCA over a year ago; any fears we had about him based on the stereotype surrounding pitt breeds were completely unfounded. His behavior has spoken for itself and he’s been a fantastic addition to our family. He’s never shown any aggression towards people or other dogs, even when provoked.

Although I hate every headline I see about a “pitt bull” attack, it undeniably happens more than anyone would like to see. These are powerful, intelligent, energetic and surprisingly sensitive dogs that require vigilance and above-average commitment from their owners. They are often exploited, neglected and mistreated, and that is what turns them into statistics and dreadful news stories. Pitt bull breeds need to be handled with their specific needs in mind. That means lots of exercise, discipline, obedience training, routine and exposure to all kinds of people, animals and environments. And on the owner’s part, that means sensitivity to people who do not share a love for bully breeds.

Regardless of the breed, my duty as a responsible dog owner is to keep my pet leashed at all times (as the law dictates), and not leave him unsupervised, pacing behind a fence or running free, making my neighbors nervous and fearful. Maybe by doing that and letting my dog’s personality speak for itself, it will help inform people about the true nature of pitt bull breeds and put a stop to the mindset that we need a ban in Anne Arundel County.

26. Jason says:

The initial person to post, Elise Cullinane, makes a few points that I feel need to be expanded upon.

First, she is rather argumentative that the pitbull is not a bad / dangerous / mean dog, yet she writes that in her experience “PITBULLS can be hard to control and contain because of their strong-willed ways”. Define ‘hard to control’ for us here. Are you meaning that they won’t listen when an owner is screaming at them to back down?

Hard to control in the sense that only a strong adult should be walking them, on a leash, in a public place because a child would be easily overpowered and would lose control of the dog allowing it to run free and attack (or not be bad to) whatever other dog / person is nearby?

Hard to contain because they instinctively will try to find a way out of any restrictive space, including by using force, to get at what they want?

I only mention these because in the line of duty as a police officer, I have been called to many incidents with overzealous and “bad” pitbulls – regardless of their exact breed. These dogs are mean, they get ornery as they age, and they are NOT safe for the general public. In fact, the 3 incidents that I mentioned above were all factual and actually happened in / around Anne Arundel County. In 2 of the instances, the owners were your average law-abiding citizens who just happened to have their pitbull snap one day. One of those instances involved a bit to a child…less than 3 years old and a pitbull clamps down on your kids body?

Hey, but they are not “mean” or “bad”…these people must have raised their pitbull to attack small kids on public streets.

Next, Elise writes that “Anne Arundel County needs to have more respect for their residents, and let us control our animals. tighter animal control laws and punishment for those who abuse would be better”.

I am with you on this one, Elise! You should control your animals – in fact, there is no ordinance or law currently in existence in the State of Maryland that would prevent you from “controlling your animals”. Tighter animal control laws would mean that more money would have to be spent in enforcement, which is not in the coffers with the curretn administration.

I do, however, agree with you that punishment needs to be tighter and more punitivie. In fact, I believe that these laws should include the opposite side of the coin here — make the owners of these aggressive and idiotic dogs be held accountable, both criminally and in a civil sense, if their dogs get loose and attack.

It is always the same story, “Oh, he/she has NEVER done anything like this before! Oh My Gosh – he/she has NEVER gotten out of the yard before… No way! My dog is NEVER aggressive towards another person.” In the 18 years I have been a police officer, I will tell you that over 90% of the aggressive dog complaints come from whatever breed of pitbull is in fashion that week. These are facts that cannot be disputed – in those years I have never been called to the scene of an aggressive pomeranian that has attacked an elderly lady going into her house.

Finally, in response to the conclusion of Mr. Cullinane’s post, “so we’re going to BAN a type of person from Anne Arundel because they like to break into houses?” Actually yes. If they are caught and sentenced to confinement, then they are – in effect – under a BAN of any county, except their 6*9 cell. Do we have doggie jails?

“no we are not.”, she said as she answered her own question. Well, if you read my reply above, yes we are by incarcerating that person.

“we punish the individual.” Well, we try to many times, but there are some rather weak judges in this county.

“you will not fix the ‘bad pet owner’ issue in Anne Arundel County by banning one breed.” I don’t believe that this focuses on the fact that people are bad owners, but it focuses on public safety that would prevent a violent dog breed being loose in the public of AACo. Sorry, you can say what you want, but the fact is that pitbulls are dangerous.

“trust me.” You have presented no factual statements to offer any type of trust in your ring — only opinions.

27. Tammy says:

First of all let me apologize if my rambling is choppy.  I have a lot I would like to say but don’t want to write a novel about it.  I will start by saying I don’t own a “pit bull”, as the term is more representative of a physical description that can include 47 different dog breeds…  I am the proud owner of 2 American Staffordshire Terriers and I have NO PROBLEM being held accountable for the actions of my dogs.  With that said I would feel the same if i owned a yorkie, toy poodle, lab, beagle or hound dog.  ALL dog owners should be held accountable for the actions of their dogs regardless of breed!  I don’t disagree that “pit bull” breeds can be a bit animal agressive (prey drive) but they typically aren’t Human aggressive.There have been a number incidents in the news where “pit bulls” have saved human life.  The older woman who fell on the train tracks was pulled to safety by a pit bull as a train was barreling down on her.  Another story mentioned a dog taking a bullet for it’s owner during an attempted armed robbery.  One of my favorites was hearing about a stray pit bull saving a mother and her toddler from a man with a knife.  A story that didn’t make the news is about a woman who was saved from taking another beating from her boyfriend by her roommates “pit bull”.  “Pit bulls” have been called a number of things throughout history; a ” poor man’s mule” and even a “babysitter”.  They have been honored by the military (stubby), are used by police, are used as therapy dogs.  They have stared in film (little racals).  The breed as a whole should not be held accountable, us owners should be!Any responsible dog owner should know their dogs physical capabilities, disposition as well as limitations.  Dasia, almost a year old, has been socialized since the day I got her.  She plays calmly with other dogs at the dog park.  She loves to say hi to all of the dogs and people in the neighborhood.  Whereas Cyrus isn’t so sweet on other dogs but he loves, loves, loves people.  Both of my dogs will obey commands given by others (including strangers).  I know I can take Dasia to the dog park to play, where as Cyrus has to remain on a leash.Owners of “pit bull” breeds should recognize that the breed they’ve chosen are natural jumpers, climbers and diggers…  In other words escape artists.  They should never be unattended in the yard, especially yards with wooden fences or short link fences.  In most cases I strongly feel dog attacks can and should have been prevented.Although there is technically a “pit bull” breed restriction in my complex they recognize that the entire “pit” breed isn’t bad– that all dogs should be evaluated individually.  Needless to say, my complex knows I own 2 AmStaffs, they always ask how they’re doing, and there many other tenants have been allowed to keep their dogs.

28. Lidiaj says:

Simply look at who owns pit bulls if you want to know why they have the highest bite rate. They are the favorite dog of the ghetto and thug culture. If thug culture embraced and bred labs we would see a rash of Labrador bites. Take the pit out of the hood and you will take the bite out of the pit. The pits you see behind white picket fences are a completely different dog than the ones you see in bad areas biting little kids.