<------

South River Principal Speaks About Fight

| October 11, 2010, 02:42 PM | 11 Comments

William Myers, Principal at South River High School has offered a follow up letter to his initial letter.  Citing confidentiality, he states that he is unable to tell anyone anything other than the student who was hurt is home, recovering, and the school is in touch with the family to provide instruction to him as he recuperates.

Myers somewhat clarifies that any suspension greater than 10 days must be made by the central administration.

He continues to explain that parents should not believe everything they have seen reported and explains that his wording was not mean to downplay the significance of the event.  You can read the letter here.

What are your thoughts? Is this an out of control school district attempting to control the spin? Or is this a legitimate clarification on the “altercation?”

Tags: , ,

Category: NEWS, OPINION

1. Cathline harbour says:

I am sure this was a “coached” letter, that is it was “sanitized” and pre-approved by Mosier,Maxwell and the BOE before it was printed. Nothing goes out of the schools until Mosier reads it first and edits it before it is released.

2. running with scissors says:

Well we are making progress went from altercation to a fight.

3. Linda says:

He is a ASS !!! That is all I can say . I hope is days are number as a Principal.. If I were the parent of the student that was hur! I would want him out of their A.S.A.P …

4. Michael Willis says:

It wasn’t a fight either by all accounts. It was an assault by two people on a younger and smaller person. The word “fight” implies that there was some parity, or give and take, to the incident. I’ve seen no such thing reported anywhere. This was a brutal and vicious attack.

5. Michael Willis says:

And you better believe that this letter was vetted by the highest levels at the district offices. This poor schmuck is being set up to take the fall.

6. running with scissors says:

They are trying to put the best spin they can on this. Since when can’t principals kick kids out of school? When I went back in the 70’s the principal could kick someone out for good. Oh, it must have occurred since we need to make everybody feel good, no child left behind. Even if they rape, beat, steal etc…

7. RC says:

Privacy Provisions? How is it that in an open society we cannot be privy to such very important Public Safety issues, at a school we pay for?

8. Michael Willis says:

RC,

My thoughts exactly. I don’t want to know any names. I just want to know the details of the attacks. How does the public knowing exactly what happened jeopardize the students’ privacy?

Privacy laws were meant to be a shield for the students, not for the administration.

9. Michael Willis says:

Did anybody see anything about this new letter in the paper?

10. Name (required) says:

This is my second comment coming after a not so good
    nites sleep thinking about it.I know this family and there isn’t anything they wouldn’t do for some one else.What’s up these kids parents??That’s also where some fingers should be pointed and what’s going to happen to these kids,maybe a little slap on the wrist,a week-10 day suspension,give me a break,lock them up for 6 months and let them think about what they did and maybe next time they’ll think twice about it.What about the kids parents who could only look at their son from behind a plate of glass.Personalize folks then write down how you feel about it if it was your kid. All for a Ipod,makes perfect sense to me,not!!! I’m just going to continue to pray for this poor kid that needs a new eye and will hopefully come out of this with no brain damage. It’s just disgusting what people get away with,I won’t waste anymore of my breathe or anger on this story,I’m a firm believer of you get what you give in this world and I’ll keep my fingers crossed that someone returns the act to these little bastards.

11. Mary says:

I am a 1982 graduate from South River High & never heard of anything this outrageous! The kids that started the fight should be expelled! Not only that they should serve some jail time as well, and be charged as adults! Their parents should too! I feel so sorry for the kid that has to spend god knows how much time recovering, and for his parents. But you know what I always say “an eye for an eye”!