Registration is open! The National Family Caregiver Support Program at the Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities will present the Fall 2010 Caregiver Workshop Series. “The Dementia Series: Living in the Land of Oz” will be held at seven senior activity centers in the county. Three workshops will be presented at each center by Mary Fridley, registered nurse and founder of Gero-Resources LLC.
• Workshop #1 is entitled “I’ve a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore!” Like a tornado, a progressive dementia such as Alzheimer’s disease is a life-changing event. Learn about the different types of dementias, how they progress, current research and treatments, and how to prepare for the future.
• Workshop #2 is entitled “Follow the yellow brick road….” Dementia-impaired people are lost in their own worlds. The disease impairs perceptions of reality, resulting in confusion and disorientation. This workshop will teach participants how to effectively communicate and create a pathway to successful behavior management.
• Workshop #3 is entitled “There’s no place like home…there’s no place like home….” Requesting to go home when one is already at home, repeating, wandering, and resistance to bathing are typical dementia behaviors. Caregivers are conflicted about what to do and feel inadequately prepared to manage them. This workshop will teach essential behavior management skills to use in everyday life.
Workshops will be presented at:
• Annapolis Senior Activity Center, 119 S. Villa Ave., Annapolis, from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Mondays, Nov. 8, 15, and 22. This workshop is sponsored by Somerford Place of Annapolis.
• Arnold Senior Activity Center, 44 Church Road, Arnold, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 14, 21, and 28.
• Brooklyn Park Senior Activity Center, 202 Hammonds Lane, Brooklyn Park, from 1 to 3 p.m. Thursdays, Sept. 23 and 30 and Oct. 7.
• O’Malley Senior Activity Center, 1275 Odenton Road, Odenton, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Oct. 12, 19, and 26.
• Pasadena Senior Activity Center, 4103 Mountain Road, Pasadena, from 1 to 3 p.m. Dec. 6, 13, and 20.
• Pascal Senior Activity Center, 125 Dorsey Road, Glen Burnie, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Nov. 16, 23, and 30.
• South County Senior Activity Center, 27 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, Oct. 7, 14, and 21.
To register for the free workshops, call 410-222-4464, Ext. 3043, or register online at www.aacounty.org/aging.