Anne Arundel County Public Schools Partner With Area Organizations To Provide Free Summer Meals To County Youth
Anne Arundel County Public Schools has announced a program to provide free breakfast and lunch to low income children this summer. From the release:
From June 17 to August 12, 2010, Anne Arundel County Public Schools will offer free breakfast and lunch to low-income children who participate in various programs run by partner organizations.
In the “Food That’s In When School Is Out” program, more than 75,000 nutritious meals will be provided at 14 schools and other locations. Using federal funds provided by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Summer Food Service Program (SFSP), local public and private agencies across the country are given the opportunity to provide free meals and snacks to children during the summer. AACPS has increased its involvement in the program and will triple both the breakfast and lunch meals that were served last year.
“This effort is so important to us on so many levels. Our need to support more families has grown and I’m glad we’ll be able to do that,” said AACPS Food and Nutrition Services Supervisor Jodi Risse. “To be able to continue the nutritional resources and lessons we provide throughout the school year helps us provide a consistent presence in their ability to make healthy choices.”
Spots for this year’s program have already been filled, but the following participating sites may still have resources to help families (please contact individual sites for specific information):
- Anne Arundel County Recreation and Parks – 410.222.7313 – Brooklyn Park Teen Club, Quiet Waters Park, Summer Fun Centers, School Age Child Care
- Art Mentorship Academy – 443.223.8433 – Creating Communities, Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts
- Box of Rain – 443.254.0024
- City of Annapolis Recreation and Parks – 410.263.7958 – Annapolis ES site, Truxton Park, Splash Camps
- IYN Services, Inc. – 410.570.1023 – Mills-Parole ES site
- AACPS Programs – 410.222.5900 – Boys Academy, ESOL, Meade Succeeds Academic Recovery & Enrichment Program, Summer Bridge Program, Title I
AACPS Schools – Annapolis HS, Annapolis MS, Brooklyn Par MS, Eastport ES, Freetown ES, Lindale MS, Marley ES, Maryland City ES, Meade Heights ES, Mills/Parole ES, North Glen ES, Park ES, Tyler Heights ES, Woodside ES