Another Storm Wipes Out Snow Days
Anne Arundel County Schools will be closed on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 due to a winter storm which dropped approximately six inches of snow.
With this closing, and the three snow days in in December, all allotted snow days have been utilized and any additional days may result in an extension of the school year.
Weather forecasters are calling for another major storm this weekend which could eclipse the storm last month. Several forecasts are calling for 24″ or more. If this storm materializes, additional snow days would be likely as well as an extension of the school year barring any waivers from the State.
The decision to close schools is never made lightly and many factors go into the process including:
- ability of school buses to navigate neighborhood roadways
- safety of students waiting for buses
- ability of school district personnel to clear school property
- forecast for continued poor weather conditions
- advice from Anne Arundel County and the City of Annapolis