Anne Arundel County Police Offer Tips For Winter Weather
The Anne Arundel County Police Department has issued the following tips to remind local residents how to keep safe this winter. There is a winter storm due to hit the area tonight and preparation is key:
- Always plan ahead before traveling during the winter months. Remember to check your local forecasts for the possibility of inclement weather along your route.
- If possible, combine several trips into one and stay off the roads during a winter storm.
- If adverse conditions are in the forecast, check your vehicle’s fluids, windshield wipers and tire pressure prior to leaving and make sure to have a full tank of gas.
- Store an ice scraper, a snow shovel, flashlights, jumper cables and blankets in your vehicle in the event that your vehicle becomes disabled.
- Do not leave your vehicle unattended.
- Reduce speeds and increase the distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you as “spinouts” are common with ice and snow on the roads.
- During snowstorms, clear all snow and ice from your vehicle. Peephole driving (only removing small areas of ice and snow) reduces visibility and increases the chance that ice or snow will dislodge and strike another vehicle while traveling.
- Don’t stop your vehicle to pick up a stranger in distress. Simply call the police and provide them with the location of the disabled vehicle.
- When traveling for a period of time, leave a contact number with a trusted neighbor and have them watch your home, retrieve your mail and shovel snow if possible.
- Avoid placing boxes from new holiday purchases out on the street for several days as this is an indicator that there are new purchases inside. Instead, break down all boxes and put them out as close to your trash pick up time as possible.
- Don’t have packages delivered to your home if you are going to be away as this becomes a theft target to opportunistic criminals.