Anne Arundel County To Celebrate disABILITY Day At Westfield Annapolis
The Commission on Disability Issues will host its annual disABILITY Awareness Day from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 24, at Westfield Annapolis mall, with ceremonies located near the entrance to The Pottery Barn on the Bestgate Road side of the mall. The public can attend and meet with individuals with disabilities, family members, and service-providing agencies that will have information on resources available in a festival-type atmosphere.
- disABILITY Awareness Day Award (the highest award from the Commission): Vicki Callahan, executive director of Opportunity Builders Inc.
- Employer Awards: Graul’s Market, Weis Market, St. Paul’s Lutheran Church and School, Old Country Buffet, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Naval Academy, and Safeway.
- Accessibility Awards: Bob Evans Restaurant in Gambrills; Lodge at Seven Oaks in Odenton; Wal-Mart in Severn; Zimmerman’s Shoes in Severna Park; and Country Inn and Suites, Hampton Inn and Suites, McCormick and Schmick’s Seafood Restaurant, Sandy Spring Bank, and Park Place, the Residence, all in Annapolis.
- Entrepreneur of the Year: John Sheehan of John’s ShredCycle.
- Emergency Planning Leadership Awards: Barbara Fay, City of Annapolis Office of Emergency Management; Shawn Jones and Sharon New-Baukman, Anne Arundel County Fire Department; Karen Sank, Office of Emergency Management; Carl Lee, Anne Arundel County Police Department; Debra Curro, Department of Health; Susan Weisgerber, ARC of the Central Chesapeake Region; Michelle Bathras and Karen Imhoff, Bello Machre; Julie Misero and Darryl Owens, Providence Center; Mike Vain, OBI Inc.; Kathy (Yetz) Clemente, Gallagher Services; Mike Banscher, Carol Clemmens and Susan Shelton, Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities; and the City of Annapolis Fire Department.
- Disability Customer Service Awards: Super Fresh in Glen Burnie and Costco.
- Outstanding Leadership for an Employer: Adam’s Ribs, Edgewater.
- Exceptional Youth Role Model: Michael Weiss of Severna Park.
- Outstanding Youth Advocate: Linda Carter Ferrier.
- Disability Community Leadership Award: Glen Burnie Improvement Association.
- Business Leadership Award: Dillon’s Bus Service, Pasadena.
The Department of Aging and Disabilities is providing accessible, curb-to-curb transportation for this event. Reservations for transportation are required by Oct. 21, 2009, and can be made by calling 410-222-4826.
The Commission on Disability Issues, a county-wide board of 36 members, includes people with disabilities, families, interested citizens, and representatives of county agencies and the City of Annapolis. Commission members work to improve the lives of people with disabilities by advising the county executive and the county council on issues that impact people with disabilities.
For information on disABILITY Awareness Day, call 410-222-4383 or use Maryland Relay 7-1-1.