<------

What Would You Do?

| March 25, 2009, 05:37 AM | 14 Comments
David Benjamin Raszewski, 17. Charged with raping 7 year old girl

David Benjamin Raszewski, 17. Charged with raping 7 year old girl

The other day, we reported about David Benjamin Raszewski, 17, of Crofton, who raped a 7 year old girl and  was charged with 2nd Degree Rape, 2nd Degree Sex Offense, 3rd Degree Sex Offense, 4th Degree Sex Offense, Perverted Practice and 2nd Degree Assault.

This boy man is a junior at South River Senior High School. I have two children that attend that school–one is also a junior; but neither know of this boy man. While walking my dog, I was thinking about this crime and quite literally became sick to my stomach. How could someone not know just how wrong this was?

And then I began to think of his parents. Embarrassment aside, how do you react to your son being arrested for rape, assault, and various perverted practices against a 7 year old girl?  Do you support your son? Do you try to bail him out of jail? Is this the time to abandon him and let him lay in the bed that he made?

I wish I had the answers, but I hope I never learn them first hand. I honestly don’t know how I would react to something this heinous. This is not shoplifting, underage drinking, or even robbery or assault. This is the ruination of a 7 year old girl’s life. My heart goes out to them!

How would you react if you were  David Raszewski’s parents?  Please vote in the poll below and leave your comment.

Tags: , ,

Category: NEWS

1. John says:

I have girls that will be attending South River High next year.
    How can we insure that this unsuperivised waste of skin is not allowed back in a public setting around other children?
    Its obvious that his parents are great failures in raising their child or something like this would never have happened.
    This young man has destroyed the life of a 7 year old and should never be allowed around children again.
    Maybe the best thing for him would be to go to prison so he might discover what the receiving end of rape feels like.
    I have no concern for this individuals future.

2. RW says:

What happened to “innocent until proven guilty”? Last I checked that was sort of a bedrock principal of American democracy. But you seem so unconcerned with it that you feel the need to publish, on a publicly-read blog, with no uncertainty, that this young man “raped a 7 year old girl,” just a breath before you state that he was “charged with 2nd Degree Rape” and other crimes.

There’s a difference, ma’am, between committing a crime and being charged with committing a crime. Sure, this guy may be guilty, and if he is, it is a truly heinous and disgusting crime, and something we should be worried about, but that’s for the courts to decide, not you and your blog. Have you even considered where writing this post leaves you if Raszewski is exonerated? Guilty of libel, that’s where. You’ve published the allegations against a man who was arrested two days ago as true fact before the judicial process has even begun.

I’d be more careful if I were you.

3. Jesse Barron says:

In this instance, if I were the parents, I’d take the “I love you, but I don’t like you” approach.

Everyone needs SOMEONE to love them. When you do what this guy is accused of doing then chances are that you’re only going to have one or two people left in the world that love you — your parents.

If he did indeed do this I don’t think he should see a second of daylight again. That does not mean, however, that his parents should stop loving him. Nobody deserves to have their parents stop loving them.

I really want to believe in parental unconditional love. I believe that mine love me unconditionally. I know that I love them so.

I do not think that they should bail him out. A “son, no matter what, we want you to know that we love you, but we cannot support your actions” approach is good enough. They can still express love without showing support for and/or justifying his actions.

Here is another question: What in the world would lead the accused to do that in the first place? Perhaps it was lack of love in his home?

Also, is it just me or does he look evil, evil, evil in that mugshot? How come we rarely notice how evil someone looks until they actually go and do something?

4. JWF says:

RW–there was no conviction in this post. He will of course go through the due process, but the facts remain that he raped a 7 year old girl and is being charged with a litany of offenses.

According to police reports published by The Capital

According to charging documents, Raszewski confessed to police that he approached the girl just before 4 p.m. Friday in the playground behind his house. The girl’s baby sitter had just left the playground to take the girl’s younger brother to her house because he needed to use the bathroom.

Raszewski told police he asked the girl to come inside his home and led her upstairs. There, he pulled her into his bedroom and raped her, Raszewski told police Saturday shortly before he was arrested.

The victim’s mother, who asked not to be named, said police told her Raszewski grabbed her daughter Friday afternoon because “the opportunity presented itself.” She said she did not know Raszewski, but that police said he had seen her daughter once before.

5. Mat says:

I suppose that I might have to take the middle way between unconditional love and letting the cards fall where they may–something like Jesse’s comment above.

We might want to love our children unconditionally, and do everything we can for them. And yet, ultimately, we lose the ability to control what they do in life, perhaps sooner than we might like. In the end, I believe that we should always stand behind them somehow, but that they must face the consequences of life in their own way.

Me, I feel for the mother. I really do. I live in the neighborhood and have for many years. And, though I don’t know the family personally, I have met her a few times and can say that I saw nothing that would suggest this could come from her son. I can only imagine what she must be feeling, having this happen.

Add to that, and not to be unduly indelicate, with people in the neighborhood possessing the same sort of vicarious outrage and lack of compassion for more than the victim as that expressed in John’s comment, I can’t imagine how she can ever live in this neighborhood again.

Needless to say, this has shaken us all.

6. Eye Spy says:

Mat–

Thanks for stopping by and offering a perspective a bit closer to home.

7. Jesse Barron says:

Mat, so by the sounds of it, we’re dealing with an evil person and not someone who had parents who failed him (at least by all outward appearances)?

8. mj says:

I’m taking the i love you but don’t like what you did rode too. if this did happen then whatever the justice system serves him we’ll be ok with. this is a a terrible thing and he has to take the consequences. I know this boy and his family personaly and his parents over all are good people and so is his family. david has always been a good kid and there was no forsight that this could EVER,EVER happen or he could do something like this. i don’t understand it at all. i don’t know the anatomy of it all but i do know something had to switch in his brain for this to happen. its a hard wiring issue. my heart and prayers go out to this little girl.

9. Kellie says:

RW, your an idiot, he is guilty and the people that know that for sure like me can say it and write it where ever we want. you have no clue of anything other then reading what the charges are. people like me who know the little girl and the babysitter are letting you know adn the the people reading about this that this did happen and he did rape her. like i said your an idiot let us speak how we feel because thats what this was about what would we do if this was our child, i guess you would bail the guy out cause you feel bad people are writing bad things about him saying he is guilty. god forbid you have kids, god forbid one of your friends kids are in this situation, are you gonna tell the parents innocient until proven giulty??? THATS BS.

10. corinne says:

you will always love your child but they have to face their crime and they obviously are in need of severe psychological help, along with facing the reality of how he has ruined this inoccent child or you turn your back on them and they become more volitile and aggressive. Though its a parents nightmare and my heart breaks for them.

11. corinne says:

One last thing the person watching the child not having children of his or her won, is no guilty of any harm. Though i cant imagine how that person is dealing i am thankful the parents of the child are not blaming the sitter whom just like most of us would never imagine such an event would happen! My prayers are to heal the child family and babysitter!

12. skyfish says:

The one thing with me and this whole thing was that he and I were friends. Not like best friends forever or anything like that, but we got along. I always saw him as a little strange, as am I, -which is WHY we got along- but I never thought something like this would happen. Well, I’ll get to the point. I can understand why so many people hate him, but why does everyone automatically think he’s evil? I’m not saying he’s NOT, but… well, there are factors involved that we don’t know about or won’t know for a long time. He could be a textbook case sociopath or have a severe chemical imbalance in the brain, we just don’t KNOW. I am NOT standing up for him with this, because it’s horrible, sick, disgusting what he did to that girl. I just can’t help but try to look at this logically. I don’t know… I just don’t know how to say it any other way.

13. Eye Spy says:

I can see your point to a slight degree. But certain crimes are truly so bad that I think it is proper to err on the side of caution. TO take a completely disengaged look at this, by putting him away for life, we ARE ruining one life (his), but it may just be a sacrifice we need to make in order to save many more. It is all about assumption of risk, and how woudl anyone feel if at age 22 and being deemed “rehabilitated” he did it again? What about at age 50?