The Anne Arundel County Public Library (AACPL) is once again blurring the lines between fashion, technology and education by hosting its second annual wearable electronic showcase.
The event, called STEMstyle, will feature mind-blowing creations from artists, scientists and designers as they showcase their functional apparel and jewelry at the Westfield Annapolis Mall on Thursday, October 27, from 6-7 pm in Crate & Barrel Court.
STEMstyle is an event of the Anne Arundel STEM Festival, a celebration of the importance of science, technology, engineering and math in our everyday lives.
“The Anne Arundel County Public Library is the community hub for education, enrichment and inspiration, ” said Hampton “Skip” Auld, library CEO. “Our STEM festival highlights the diverse scope of impact we have in the county along with our partners.”
“We’re thrilled to be a part of the STEMstyle event for its second year”, said Matt Barry, District Manager, Westfield Annapolis. “We strive to support education in our community and partnering with the Anne Arundel County STEM festival achieves just that,” he continued.
AACPL is looking for contestants to participate in the showcase. The competition is open to anyone regardless of age or education. Designs will be judged on fashion forwardness, innovation, originality and functionality.
Design concepts must be received by October 10. To participate, submit a 200-word or less description of the functionality along with conceptual drawings or sketches and an optional video of the design or its functionality.
Entries should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person to:
Anne Arundel County Public Library Headquarters at 5 Harry S.Truman Parkway, Annapolis, MD 21401
Roughly 12-15 designs will be selected by a panel of judges to be displayed at the event on October 27. One overall winner will be selected at the showcase and awarded a $100 gift card to the Westfield Annapolis, a certificate from the library and be featured on the library’s website and on social media.
In addition to the Anne Arundel County STEM Festival’s fashion showcase, the initiative will feature other signature events, including:
- Anne Arundel STEM Day at the Glen Burnie Regional Library on October 15 from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. featuring hands on activities.
- Robotics and Circuitry demonstration at the Mountain Road Community Library on October 18 at 7 p.m.
- Stormwater Science workshop on October 19 at 6 p.m. at the Odenton Regional Library.
- Big Dream Documentary showing at the Chesapeake Arts Center on October 22 at 2 p.m.
- Science Night at the Anne Arundel Community College on November 10.
- An interactive look at the Science of Radio and TV by the National Capital Radio and Television Museum on November 5 at 2 p.m. at the Edgewater Community Library.
- Dragon Boat Science presentation at the Annapolis Regional Library on November 15, courtesy of the Annapolis Dragon Boat Club.
- Dozens of other STEM related events at the library’s 15 branches in September, October and November.
The Anne Arundel County STEM Festival is sponsored by AACPL, Annapolis Dragon Boat Club, Anne Arundel Community College, Anne Arundel County Public Schools, Anne Arundel County Department of Public Works, Army Research Lab, Chesapeake Arts Center, Club SciKids, Judy Center, National Capital Radio and Television Museum and Westfield Annapolis. The festival is a program of the larger Maryland STEM Festival, which takes place November 4-13.