Officials for the Anne Arundel County Public Library (AACPL) today opened registration for this year’s Summer Reading Club. The program includes an exciting lineup of performers, concerts and activities from late June until August 13 and features great prizes and even free books!
On Your Mark, Get Set, Read!, this year’s theme, will encourage kids and adults to exercise their minds as well as their bodies as part of the annual initiative. Each of AACPL’s 15 branches will feature family-friendly programs and events designed to help children of all ages keep their reading skills sharp while providing fun for everyone in the family.
“Summer reading programs can have a tremendous impact on student achievement. It has been demonstrated in countless studies that the early development of summer reading habits can play a critical role in providing a solid foundation for later academic success,” says AACPL CEO Skip Auld.
All libraries will kick off the program with fun activities, crafts, games and more. Some branches will offer special events including a karate party, mini golf course and a visit from Poe, the Baltimore Ravens’ mascot. All libraries will also offer a combination of the following special programs including:
- Popular magician Joe Romano’s Books! The Magic is Real!, which stresses the enjoyment and importance of reading.
- On the Ball, Spinny, a high-energy program emphasizing the importance of healthy eating, exercise and education from former Harlem Globetrotter Spencer ‘Spinny’ Johnson.
- Go Bananas with Blue Sky Puppet Theatre, a show about the value of healthy habits.
- The Bubble Lady, an interactive program explaining the science behind bubbles where all kids can be put inside a giant bubble!
- The remarkable antics of Marian’s Dynamic Duo, Mario and Bella, who will demonstrate their ability to play the piano, “read” and perform tricks of all kinds.
- Special concerts from the house bands of the Schools of Rock Annapolis and Gambrills.
- The beautiful music of Magpie, award-winning recording artists, singers and song writers who honor our amazing Chesapeake Bay through their performances.
Special musical events will also be held at the Marley Station Mall and Annapolis Towne Centre. Magpie will play at Marley Station on June 24 at 11 a.m., and popular act The Milkshake Duo will visit the Annapolis Towne Centre on July 23 at noon. The Milkshake Duo, Lisa Mathews and Mikel Gehel are regulars on Nick Jr. and PBS KIDS.
The United States Army Field Band and The United States Navy Band will also play special concerts as part of the Summer Reading Club. The Navy’s premier country-bluegrass ensemble, Country Current, will perform on June 21 at 7 p.m. while The United States Army Field Band’s Federal Brass group will present their unique sounds on August 8 at 7 p.m., both at the Odenton Regional Library. The United States Army Field Band’s Clarinet Trio will peform at the Severn Community Library on August 8 at 7 p.m.
For the first time ever, AACPL is offering online registration for the program through the library’s website www.aacpl.net/src or on its mobile app starting today. Participants who register online can track their progress and become eligible for weekly prizes from July 11 – August 13, including tickets to Medieval Times, The Maryland Science Center and a Baltimore Orioles game. People who read each week will receive a free book. Participants can also register in person at any of the 15 county libraries. All participants ages 15 and younger will receive a free voucher for a special Summer Reading Night at the Bowie Baysox stadium on August 20.
Meanwhile, adults can participate in the Have Library Card, Will Travel photo contest where cardholders can tweet or Facebook a photo of themselves with their library card while on vacation. Remember to add #aacpl in your caption. The grand prize winner and second place winner will be chosen at random, as well as winners for other categories. The grand prize includes four tickets to the Newseum from AAA. Second prizes include: Chesapeake Bay Watermark Cruise for two and a $50 gift card to Mutiny Priate Bar & Island Grille.
For more information about the Summer Reading Club, visit the library system’s website at www.aacpl.net/src.