Can dry skin be beautiful skin? Of course it can be! To start, it helps to understand the most common causes of skin drying and know how to prevent it. At Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spas they see it all the time.
Common Causes of Skin Drying
- Hereditary: Some people are just born with dry skin –you can tell as your whole body is dry, including your hands, scalp, etc.
- Weather: Cold climates and the winter season cause lower humidity levels. Extreme cold and varying indoor and outdoor environments can all cause damage to the skin’s protective outer layer.
- Certain Product Ingredients:Soap, antibacterial hand sanitizer, alcohol in toners and highly fragranced products will strip vital lipids between cells leaving dangerous gaps in the natural defensive barrier.
- Low fat diets: Not consuming enough healthy Fat in the diet, like avocados, can reduce the Lipid content in the skin.
- Lack of skin protection: People who don’t use moisturizer, sunscreen or body lotion will have very dehydrated skin and this leads to moisture loss.
How to Prevent Skin Dryness
- Avoid hot water by using tepid water instead, pat skin dry, don’t rub. And while the skin is still damp apply your body lotion immediately, avoiding those with artificial color and fragrance.
- Avoid soap, artificial fragrance and high foam products as they dehydrate the skin. Alternatively add a few pumps of an aromatherapy oil to your bath. And, slough off dead cells effortlessly by adding Salts to the bath for a relaxing and exfoliating soak.
- If you prefer to shower use a creamy body scrub in gentle circular movements paying special attention to knees, elbows and hands.
- Use a humidifier at home and especially at night. Change the filter regularly.
- Define and follow a 4 step skin care Regimen at home after consulting with a Licensed Esthetician:
Cleanse– Switch out your foaming cleanser for a soothing cream cleanser to replenish lipids and soothe sensitivity.
Exfoliate flaky, dull skin cells with a Daily Microfoliant to reveal new plump moisture filled cells.
Hydrate and reduce tightness by spritzing on a hydrator after cleansing and throughout the day over makeup.
Moisturize by apply a hydrating serum beneath your prescribed moisturizer.
- Receive Regular Hydrating Facials with a Licensed Esthetician to supplement your home care regimen by adding additional hydrating steps to include steam, masques and stimulating facial massage.
Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spas specializes in customized massage and facial treatments and offers many special enhancements to you experience. They have extended hours, are open 7 days/wk and walk-ins and same day appointments are always welcome. They have 2 convenient area locations to serve you–Severna Park Plaza (410-544-7999) and Annapolis Harbour Center (410-224-4402) or please visit handandstone.com. We hope to see you soon!
Source: Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spas