For one night in September, Annapolis’s historic West Street Arts District becomes home to actors, singers, magicians, rappers, poets and acrobats as the 2015 Annapolis Fringe Festival opens its doors 7pm to midnight.
The arts district celebrates its 5th year with a lineup of short shows, none more than 60 minutes and none costing more than $11. Beyond theater, the Fringe offers outdoor music, cafe dining, a visual-art exhibition, street performers, a stunning light show and a rambunctious opening ceremony.
The chaos can appear overwhelming to first time Fringers, but it’s easy to take part. Browse all the shows and find the schedule at the official website, FringeFestivalAnnapolis.com.
The official “HOW TO” Guide: Here’s what you need to know to enjoy the Annapolis Fringe Festival, Saturday night, September 26 on the first block of West Street:
- The bracelet: The very talented street performers are starving artists. For all ticketed shows or activities, all participants need a Fringe Bracelet, which costs $5; proceeds are used to run the festival. Fringe Bracelets are available at the three festival box offices – two are at the either end of the first block of West Street next to the barricades, and if you “accidently” slip by the barricades, buy your Fringe Bracelet at the Piano Bar located in the middle of the street!
- The tickets: Tickets ($11 or less) for individual shows are available at the box offices. Lines at ticket counters can be long, so it saves time to buy ahead at FringeFestivalAnnapolis.com. (There is no service fee for online purchases.)
- The VIP passes: A single VIP Pass allows two guests access to any three shows under any tent. VIP Pass holders also receive VIP hi-top tables reserved in the pass holder’s name for their selected shows. Hi-top tables are limited. VIP Passes should be purchased early to guarantee the best hi-top seating for stage views.
- The best parking garages:
Bladen Street Garage St. John’s Street FREE
Gotts Garage – 250 Northwest Street
Knighton Garage, 1A Colonial Avenue
Park Place Garage, One Park Place
• The best hotel for Annapolis Fringe Festival guests: The Westin Annapolis is offering a surprise package for Fringe guests.