Anne Arundel Community College offers many events open to the community that are organized or hosted by various college departments or programs. Occasionally, times, dates or places of the events change. Most events have a web page on AACC’s website; if not, check AACC’s events calendar at www.aacc.edu/events.
AACC CLASSES BEGIN
- Jan. 6– Two-week winter credit session begins; registration for spring noncredit classes begins: www.aacc.edu/noncredit.
- Jan. 20 – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, no classes and college closed; online services available.
- Jan. 22 – 15-week session and first eight-week session of spring credit classes begin; registration is underway; to register, visit www.aacc.edu/recreg/waystoregister.cfm.
- Jan. 24 – Weekend spring credit classes begin; to register or for information, visit www.aacc.edu/weekend.
- Feb. 3 – 13-week session of spring credit classes begins; to register, call 410-777-2243 or visit www.aacc.edu/recreg/waystoregister.cfm.
- Jan. 4 – 7:30 p.m. Astronomy club meeting; 8:30-10 p.m. Stargazing, “Community Observing Night,” family event sponsored by the AACC Astronomy Club; meeting is followed by stargazing, weather permitting; bring your own telescope and binoculars or use one of the eight AACC telescopes to view planets, stars and moon; park in the back of Arnold parking lots A and B beside the Resource Management Building, facing headlights toward campus; AACC Arnold campus, 101 College Parkway; free; for information, contact Professor Beth R. Hufnagel, Ph.D., at email@example.com or 410-777-2260 or visit www.aacc.edu/science/observatory/default.cfm.
- Jan. 9 – 7 p.m. Discussion, “Civil War Medicine,” presented by Edward McDevitt as focus of Chesapeake Civil War Roundtable, which sponsors guest speakers each month to support the preservation and education of the events that affected the United States during the 1860s; Cade Center for Fine Arts Room 219, AACC Arnold campus, 101 College Parkway; free; for information, call Lester Brooks, Ph.D., professor of history at AACC, 410-777-2428 or visit the round table’s website, http://ccwr.net.
- Jan. 14 – 6 p.m. Board of Trustees meeting; Cade Center for Fine Arts Room 219, AACC Arnold campus, 101 College Parkway; 410-777-1177; for information, visit www.aacc.edu.
- Jan. 20 – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Breakfast – 7:30 a.m. Doors open; 8 a.m. Program begins; this year’s theme is “The Role of Women in the Civil Rights Movement,” with guest speaker Congresswoman Donna F. Edwards, D-4th; David S. Jenkins Gymnasium, Anne Arundel Community College Arnold campus, 101 College Parkway; sponsored by the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Breakfast Committee; tickets at $35 available by calling Eugene Peterson at 301-538-0887 or Erica Matthews at 443-761-9734; participants are asked to donate a nonperishable food item as part of a food drive sponsored by breakfast co-sponsors, the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority and the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity. For information, visit www.aacc.edu/mlk/breakfast.cfm.
- Jan. 28 – 3-5 p.m. Auditions, AACC Dance Company; no solos required, but auditioners should dress for movement; Cade Center for Fine Arts Room 103, Anne Arundel Community College’s Arnold campus, 101 College Parkway; free; 410-777-7021 or www.aacc.edu/dance/aaccdancecompany.cfm.
- Jan. 3-Feb. 25 – 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 9 a.m. to noon Sunday Exhibit, Anne Arundel Community College Printmaking Club’s community show at Gallery at 333, the art gallery inside the Unitarian universalist Church of Annapolis, 333 Dubois Road, Annapolis; for information, contact club sponsor, Chris Mona, professor of visual arts and chair of the AACC Visual Arts department, 410-777-7028 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jan. 5-29 – 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday Exhibit, Student Art Association, coordinated by Donna Hepner, associate professor of visual arts; Pascal Center for Performing Arts Gallery, AACC Arnold campus, 101 College Parkway; free; for information, visit www.aacc.edu/studentlife or contact the Student Engagement office, 410-777-2218.