At 2:42 a.m. on Saturday, November 16, 2013, Anne Arundel County Firefighters were dispatched for a reported dwelling fire in the 400 block of Old Line Avenue in Maryland City. The first arriving unit reported fire showing from the rear of the ranch style dwelling with reports of one person trapped in the basement. Fire crews immediately located the victim and removed the person to safety. A 2nd alarm was ultimately requested bringing a total of 35 firefighters to the scene with mutual aid from the Fort Meade, Prince Georges and Howard County Fire Departments. The fire was brought under control within one hour.
As a result of the fire, five adults were displaced and were assisted by the Red Cross. Damages were estimated at $50,000. Fire investigators have determined the fire to be unattended cooking. The rescued victim was transported to BWMC with serious, non-life threatening injuries. No injuries to firefighters were reported. Smoke alarms in the home alerted the homeowner who called 9-1-1.