Mark your calendars now to attend the dynamic, entertaining performance of the talented Anne Arundel Community College Dance Company as it presents “Spring Migration,” with performances scheduled at 8 p.m. on three evenings, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, May 2-4, at the Robert E. Kauffman Theater in the Pascal Center for Performing Arts on the Arnold campus, 101 College Parkway.
Artistic Director Lynda P. Fitzgerald has choreographed three full company pieces for this performance. Updated from 2005, “In Hot Pursuit” is a humorous take on the “Barber of Seville” set to the wonderful, classical music of Rossini.
The second full-company piece, “In Full Swing,” is a frenetic swing work, reconstructed from 2008. It’s fast and furious and set to the toe-tapping sounds of the Brian Setzer Orchestra. The dancers perform a great combination of jitterbug, Lindy and jive with exciting lifts and throws.
The third piece is a humorous look at how current clothing trends impact movement. “Confined” premiered this past fall and is set to the soothing music of Stephane Wrembel.
The student works are very exciting and eclectic as they run the gamut between strong, light-hearted, romantic, dramatic and very physical pieces. Some of the pieces come from returning dancers:
- Rachael Scaringe of Millersville has choreographed a contemporary pointe piece to Vitamin String Quartet;
- Andre Hinds of Millersville has set two, well-composed group pieces;
- Arrington Lassiter of Washington, D.C., has three pieces in the concert, a technically challenging solo, a duet and a group piece;
- Kelsey Garrett of Severn has choreographed both a solo and a dynamic group piece;
- Patrick Harrington of Millersville has set a contemporary duet with Evelyn Paddy of Centreville;
- Camilla Smigo of Queenstown has set a great group piece on the dancers; and
- Robbie Dinsmore of Davidsonville has choreographed a uniquely quirky solo.
To make reservations, contact the AACC box office at 410-777-2457 or email@example.com. Prices are $15 for the general public; $10 for AACC faculty, staff, senior citizens and outside students; and $7 for AACC students with valid ID. Be sure to alert the box office if someone in your party needs special accommodations.