Many Volunteer positions are available through the Volunteer Center For Anne Arundel County. If you do not see an opportunity below that fits your needs, contact the Volunteer Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-897-9207 . Check our Website: www.VolunteerAnneArundel.org . A few current volunteer opportunities are listed below.
Annapolis Maritime Museum
The Museum is looking for volunteers to help with a variety of tasks including: archives, museum docents, membership, office support, buildings and ground, bloggers, education programs, website content, environmental stewardship, data entry, lighthouse tours, oyster & fish tank, wooden boat crew and more. A volunteer information and recruitment event will be held from 7:00-8:30 pm, on Thurs., Nov. 29, 2012 to show you the ropes. Please RSVP to Jenny Kottler at email@example.com or 410 295-0104 . Check website at www.amaritime.org .
Anne Arundel County Literacy Council
Literacy tutors are needed for combating adult illiteracy; after completing training, you make your own schedule and locations with your assigned student or you can tutor at local detention centers, in small groups, and ESL tutoring. In addition to tutoring the Literacy Council has an urgent need for help with Student and Tutor Support. Volunteers can set their own hours and schedule and work from home, too. For information call the office at 410-269-4419 . Hours are flexible and most work can be done at home. If interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-798-0408 . Web site: www.icanread.org .
Arundel High School
Opportunities are available for volunteer business and community leaders to contribute to the success of Anne Arundel County high school students by serving as mock job interviewers. Mock job interviews with 11 th grade students are scheduled between 7:20 am- 2:00 pm on November 28 & 29, 2012 at Arundel High School, 1001 Annapolis Road, Gambrills, MD 21054, Annapolis, MD 21401 . Such interviews are held each year at the high school to provide students with real world experience of interviewing. Interviewers are asked to provide feedback to students after the actual interview so that students can improve their skills. It is a fun and rewarding experience for both the interviewer and the students. Volunteers may sign up for the time and date of their choice at https://www.surveymonkey.com/
This nonprofit has residential and day Psychiatric Rehabilitation Programs for approximately 160 individuals with mental illness. Volunteers are needed year round to assist the staff with clerical duties and to teach life skills, play board or card games at the drop-in center go for walks with members and help with social or recreational events. There is an immediate need for a volunteer to staff the front desk. Hours vary. Contact Laura Murphy at email@example.com or 443-433-5931 to volunteer or for more information. Volunteers are also needed for the following holiday event:
- · Thurs., Nov. 22, 2012, Thanksgiving Dinner: Arundel Lodge is in need of volunteers to help with Thanksgiving Day dinner. Volunteers are need for prep work, serving and cleaning up on Thanksgiving Day. Dinner will be served at the Arundel Lodge at 2600 Solomons Island Road in Edgewater, MD. Contact Rica Banfield at 443-433-5893 or firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer or for more information.
Eastport Girls Club (EGC)
- EGC is seeking high school senior or adult volunteers to serve as weekly tutors on Tuesdays from 3:30-4:30 pm to participants of the EGC; participants are in grades 5–9. For consistency and predictability to the participants, tutors should commit to an academic year of service (early Sept. through early Jun.). Training will be provided and a background check is required. For more information, or to schedule an interview with the Eastport Girls Club (EGC) Tutoring Program Coordinator, contact Valerie Drodz by phone at (410) 919-3347 or by email at email@example.com .
· In an effort to build our library, which will be offered to give all kids in our community access to quality literature, the Eastport Girls Club is asking you to help support literacy. Please make a tax-deductible gift by purchasing books from our wish list at Amazon.com. To help our cause, please log on to www.amazon.com and click on “wish list.” When prompted to “find someone’s wish list,” type in “Eastport Girls Club.” From there, you can browse our dream library of nearly 300 titles, starting from as little as $0.01 per book.
Footworks Percussive Dance Ensemble
Footworks is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to operate and manage a full-time professional troupe that performs and teaches multi-cultural percussive dance with live acoustic music for theaters, arts festivals, schools, and community events. There is an immediate need for website assistance for migrating the existing website to a new Content Management System. Volunteers help is also needed to help with fundraising, public relations, organization and board of directors development. A volunteer with graphic design experience is also needed to assist in creating promotional pieces for new production. For more information and to volunteer, contact Footworks at, firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-897-9299 . Website: www.footworks.org .
Hospice of the Chesapeake
The Hospice of the Chesapeake is seeking volunteers in Anne Arundel and Prince George’s Counties with 4-wheel drive vehicles to assist our patients and staff with transportation during inclement weather conditions. For additional information or to volunteer, please contact our Volunteer Department at 443-837-1549 or toll free 800.745.6132 .
Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC)
Learn more about the Chesapeake Bay area and share your enthusiasm for nature with others by becoming a volunteer at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC) in Edgewater, Md. SERC is looking for volunteers to support its hands-on K-12 and public education programs that center on SERC research and Chesapeake Bay ecology. Volunteer opportunities accommodate various interests and schedules and include: field trip assistants, canoe guides, aquarium maintenance team, trail guides, office assistants, classroom helper, gardeners, and curriculum designers. SERC provides volunteer training and continuing educational experiences. New volunteers are also teamed up with experienced volunteers until they get their “sea legs.” For more information, contact Daniel E. Gustafson at 443-482-2217 or email@example.com . Web site: www.serc.si.edu
- · 10 am-Noon, Mon.-Fri., Nov. 26-30, 2012, Volunteer Fair: There will be special 45-minute tours every day at the Fair at 10:30 am. If you miss the volunteer fair, please contact SERC to set up an individual meeting to discuss your skills and interests. Call Karen McDonald at (443) 482.2388 for more information.
Wreaths Across America, Sat., Dec. 15, 2012 at 12 Noon
Wreaths Across America, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, was formed as an extension of the Arlington Wreath Project in 1992. Last year, Annapolis National Cemetery received over 800 donated wreaths from individuals, organizations and businesses. There are approximately 3000 graves at Annapolis National Cemetery and the goal this year is to have a wreath for each gravesite. The Annapolis community can make this happen. Wreath donations are being sought: Visit web site: www.
- · Sat. Dec. 15, 2012 at 12 noon Wreath Laying Ceremony: Volunteers are needed for the wreath-laying ceremony at the Annapolis National Cemetery, 800 West St., Annapolis 21401. Free parking is available at the Westin Hotel, and volunteers of all ages are welcome and asked to arrive 10 minutes early. The ceremony, with the assistance of each branch of the military, is very meaningful and lasts for about 15 minutes. At that time, volunteers will be asked to lay all donated wreaths on the gravesites. For more information contact Kristina Seidel at firstname.lastname@example.org .