The proclamation recognizes BTM as the state’s premier professional ballet company and calls on all Marylanders to join in supporting the observance of Ballet Theatre of Maryland Day. The Governor states the importance of BTM to the state’s collection of professional performing arts, contributing significantly to Maryland’s cultural and educational character and quality of life. It also recognizes BTM’s work educating the community through BTM’s School of Classical and Contemporary Dance.
This proclamation coincides with the world premier of BTM’s The Dancing Princesses, which kicks off the company’s 35th anniversary season. The proclamation will be presented prior to Friday’s performance at Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts .
The Dancing Princesses opens Friday, October 19, 2012 at 7pm, with additional performances Saturday, October 20, 2012 at 7pm and Sunday, October 21 at 2pm. Tickets can be purchased through the Maryland Hall Box Office: 410.280.5640 or www.mdhallarts.org. For more information about Ballet Theatre of Maryland, visit www.balletmaryland.org.
About Ballet Theatre of Maryland – Celebrating 35 Years!
- Ballet Theatre of Maryland’s mission is to provide Maryland with a fully professional ballet company and training academy that meets the aesthetic and recreational needs of Maryland through expressive movement by:
- Performing known and original classical and contemporary works of artistic integrity;
- Creating new eclectic works that express both American and Maryland culture;
- Educating the community by providing a complete training program as well as other services that make the ballet more accessible to the underserved;
- Preserving the tradition of the classical form, while promoting the continual evolution of dance as an art.