August brings us hot and humid days – often called the Dog Days of summer! There are no official National holidays and no school in August, but this month marks the height of summer. It means vacation-time for many and fun-time outdoors with friends, family, and even your dogs! If you find yourself in or near Annapolis, Maryland on August 5th, you won’t want to miss coming by First Sundays Art Festival.
First Sunday is a festival that celebrates many forms of art – with live music, entertainment, and over 100 booths of art, jewelry, house wares, accessories and so much more. It is a fun-filled, outdoor, free, family affair for all ages. And since West Street is closed to cars from Church Circle to Calvert Street during the festival, several restaurants become outdoor cafes with perfect seating to watch the fun and people go by! The Festival fun begins at noon and goes until 5:00 p.m. – a full day of fun for everyone in your family.
Live Entertainment on West Street …
- Andy Poxon – a wiz on the guitar and a strong voice. He propels us into the Blues future — from 12-noon – 1:30 p.m. in Wiseman Park
- Teelin Irish Dance Company — accentuates the energy of Irish dance with envelope-pushing choreography – 1:30 & 3:30 p.m. in Stan & Joe’s side lot
- Sparks, Raymond and McCoy – these locals play an acoustic mix of rock and folk – from 3:30 – 5:00 p.m. in Wiseman Park
- Mahal Maria May: Ms. Maryland Senior America 2012 will be strolling the festival all day and performing the Hula
Around the Corner At Whitmore Park …
- William Pozo-Zarate – composes and performs traditional Andean music. from 1:00-5:00 p.m.
We hope you can join the fun and festivities on August 5th for Annapolis’ First Sunday Arts Festival. Sponsored in part by: Thompson Creek Windows, Capital Remodeling, Solar City and Mercedes-Benz Annapolis.
There will be two more opportunities to enjoy First Sunday activities in 2012: September 2, and October 7. For more information, visit www.firstsundayarts.com or call: 443-333-9067.