Many Volunteer positions are available through the Volunteer Center For Anne Arundel County. If you do not see an opportunity below that fits your needs, contact [email protected] or 410-897-9207. Check our Website: www.VolunteerAnneArundel.org. A few current volunteer opportunities are listed below.
Annapolis Summer Garden Theatre
Numerous volunteer opportunities are available in Production Support, Concierge and General Volunteering, Management & Business Support, including Officers and Board of Directors, and Artistic Involvement, including performers, directors, and more. For more details and to volunteer, visit the Volunteering section of the website and fill out and submit a Participation Form or call 410-268-9212. See web site at http://www.summergarden.com/
Anne Arundel County Public Library
Library Branches have differing needs for both on-going projects and short-term volunteer activities. Some examples include cleaning and re-casing books, CD and DVD collections, assembly of Story-Time projects, copying, data processing or other computer projects, and file maintenance; ongoing tasks for daily morning shifts include helping with unloading and processing delivery and looking on the shelves for requested items. Volunteer shifts are often flexible and may include some evenings or weekends in addition to day-time hours. Some Branches can work with volunteers as young as 14 and may keep applications on file to call prospective volunteers when needs arise. Training is provided. See www.aacpl.net. Library HQ:[email protected]. Check with the Branches about their current and up-coming volunteer opportunities: Annapolis, 410-222-1750; Broadneck, 410-222-1905; Brooklyn Park, 410-222-6260; Crofton, 410-222-7915; Eastport/Annapolis Neck, 410-222-1770; Edgewater, 410-222-1538; Linthicum, 410-222-6265; Mountain Rd., 410-222-6699; North County, 410-222-6270; Provinces,410-222-6280; Riviera Beach, 410-222-6285; Severna Park, 410-222-6290; South County, 410-222-1925; West County, 410-222-6277.
Happy Helpers for the Homeless (North County/Baltimore), Saturdays and Sundays
This nonprofit organization provides food, toiletries, and clothing to the hungry and homeless. Volunteers, as young as 6, are needed Saturdays (11:30am-2:30pm) and Sundays (1:00-4:00pm) to assist in distributing items and bag lunches in downtown Baltimore and Glen Burnie. Ongoing donations needed: men’s socks, toiletry items, men’s clothing, blankets, shoes in very good condition, sturdy napkins/paper towels, mustard, juice boxes, fold-over sandwich bags, lunch meat and fresh fruit. Volunteers can meet in Glen Burnie to caravan up to Baltimore. There is also a critical need for cash donations to help pay rent for space used by Happy Helpers. Contact Bobbi Coffman at 410-262-1607 for more information about volunteering on all projects and events.
· Bag a Breakfast Project. Put together a bag breakfast for a homeless individual. Include box of cereal, with spoon and cup, Pop Tart, fruit, hot chocolate package with cup and spoon, juice box, and napkin. Can be done anytime. Just drop off at Happy Helpers. Events for which extra volunteers will be welcome:
· 6:30–8:30 pm, Friday, June 1st, 2012, National Stand For Children Day, Sarah’s House Shelter on Fort Meade: We will host our 16th Annual Party, which includes craft-making, refreshments, face-painting, games and more.
· 7:30 am–4:30 pm, Saturday, June 9th, 2012, Special Olympics Maryland Summer Games, TowsonUniversity: “Team Happy Helpers” volunteers at this tremendous event each year. You must be at least 16 years of age.
· 4:30 pm–6:00 pm, Sunday, June 24th, 2012, Meade Village Distribution: This is a wonderful outreach.
Volunteers are needed to help support the needs of parents with children in Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICU) at the AA Medical Center in Annapolis and the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore. Support consists of providing information packets and web site information, a listening ear, and comfort bags of useful items such as water, pen & paper, reading materials, personal items, etc. to help parents cope with the stressful NICU experience. Volunteers are needed to stuff and deliver comfort bags, help with fundraising, and a host of other tasks. Monetary and in-kind donations are also needed to support the web site, printing, and purchase of items for comfort bags. For more information call 443-510-2673 or 443-562-6303 or e-mail [email protected]. Web site: www.isabelsgift.org.
Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, Lothian, MD
At the Sanctuary, children and adults collect water samples, clear trails, weigh turtles, guide visitors on nature walks, draw maps, lead canoe trips, make posters, seine for fish, host the Visitor Center on weekends, and more. For more information and for specific opportunities unless otherwise noted below, contact Lindsay Hollister at 410-741-9330, or send e-mail [email protected] Check the website at: http://www.jugbay.org.
· 9:30 am – 1:00 pm, Sat., June 30, 2012, Pindell Branch Stream Walk: Explore the changes in habitat along Pindell Branch and its surroundings as we follow portions of the stream from the uplands to the tidal outflow into the Patuxent. We will we examine the fish, aquatic insects, amphibians, geology and other interesting things encountered along the way. For adults and high school students. Wear rubber boots in order to walk in the stream part of the time or in the muddy flood plain. Long pants are recommended because of scratchy vegetation on this mostly off-trail hike. Take water and a snack. Visitwww.jugbay.org for more information and directions. Call 410-741-9330 to register.
· 10:00 am–3:00 pm, Sat., Jun. 2 & Jul. 21, 2012, Fish Survey: Volunteers using a seine net monitor the fish populations living in streams. They help catch, identify, and measure (and then release) fish. Participants should wear old shoes that can get wet and muddy. For teens and adults. For information call410-222-7317.
Severna Park Community Center
Volunteer opportunities include working with youth, tutoring in Math or English at the After School Middle School Program, serving on the Board or a standing committee, helping with maintenance work, gardening or coordinating reservations and working with events. Volunteers are also needed to supervise open gym time for basketball or volleyball. Call Chris Marsala at 410-647-5843 X 201 or cmarsala@
Spa Creek Cleanup, June 8, 2012
Volunteers are needed to help with a cleanup at Spa Creek in Annapolis from Noon–2:30 pm, Fri., Jun. 8, 2012. The event is hosted by United By Blue and Sperry Top-Sider, and participants will meet at Truxton Park, 273 Hilltop Ln., Annapolis. Volunteers will be supplied with free lunch, water, bags, and gloves. Later that evening, there will be a “World Oceans Day Party” at the Sperry Top-Sider’s store at 36 Market Space. Join us at 5 pm for an evening of free food, drinks, and post cleanup celebrations. Please RSVP at http://www.unitedbyblue.com/
Stanton Community Center
The Stanton Community Center serves as a community resource that provides children and adults with recreational and cultural enrichment opportunities and health, medical, therapeutic, and counseling services. The center displays historical portraits of Annapolis’ diverse community and features many offices, a multi-purpose gymnasium, commercial kitchen, fitness area, historic classroom, media center with computers, and two conference/meeting rooms. Volunteers, age 18 and up, are needed as academic tutors for elementary, middle and high school students in the After School Homework Program on Monday through Thursday, 3:00-5:00 p.m. from September–June to help with homework, core subjects, school projects and academic skills. Chess tutors are needed to assist a professional instructor in teaching beginner chess players ages 6-11 the fundamentals and principals of chess. Potential tutors must complete a volunteer application and are subject to a background check. A basketball is coach is also needed to coach youth basketball teams. For more information contact Archie Trader at 410-263-7966 or[email protected]. Web site: www.annapolis.gov/ at Department-Recreation & Parks.