As part of its celebration of National Volunteer Week, which took place April 15-21, Anne Arundel Medical Center proudly honored the hundreds of volunteers that make up the AAMC Auxiliary with the Auxiliary Annual Recognition Luncheon on Tuesday, April 17. National Volunteer Week was established to celebrate the profound impact volunteers make in their communities as well as to encourage all Americans to discover their own power to make a difference.
As part of the celebration, AAMC honored over 285 volunteers who reached milestones in their volunteer service from 200 hours all the way up to 30,000 hours!
The AAMC Auxiliary was founded in 1944 by Selda E. Miller, former president of the hospital’s board of managers, “to give more people in the community an opportunity to take an active part in the hospital.” Auxiliary volunteers are an integral part of AAMC’s mission of providing patient-centered, high quality health care services to our community. Auxilians have also generously raised significant funds for many hospital projects.
Facts & Figures on the AAMC Auxiliary:
- The AAMC Auxiliary recently pledged $3.5 million to AAMC’s Care Like No Other campaign, which helped the AAMC Foundation achieve its $44 million goal toward the hospital’s expansion.
- In 1952, the AAMC Auxiliary had 175 members. Today, it has a membership of more than 800, with more than 750 active volunteers. That translates to more than 165,000 hours of volunteer time annually.
- The AAMC Auxiliary is a charter member of the Maryland Association of Hospital Auxiliaries (1952).
- The auxilians manage AAMC’s information desks and work in more than 32 service areas, helping patients and their families navigate the hospital. The group also operates the Clothes Box consignment shop, which remains a beneficial source of income for the hospital as well as three gift shops on the campus.
- AAMC Breaks Ground On Hackerman-Patz House (eyeonannapolis.net)
- AAMC Wins Another Honor (eyeonannapolis.net)
- CPR teach-in at AAMC on Saturday (hometownannapolis.com)