Many Volunteer positions are available through the Volunteer Center For Anne Arundel County. If you do not see an opportunity below that fits your needs, contact the Volunteer Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-897-9207. Check our Website: www.VolunteerAnneArundel.org. A few current volunteer opportunities are listed below.
Annapolis City Fair, May 5 & 6, 2012
This First Annual Annapolis City Fair being held at the City Dock & National Sailing Center & Hall of Fame will showcase the services, opportunities, and diversity of our historic community. The City of Annapolis, in cooperation with the National Sailing Center & Hall of Fame, is seeking public agencies, cultural institutions, sports associations, service organizations, educational institutions, environmental groups, neighborhood associates, sailing groups and other non-profits to participate. The event will be held Sat. 10 am – 6 pm & Sun. Noon – 6 pm, May 5-6, 2012. There is no charge for exhibitors to reserve space or the public to attend. Groups must bring their own tent, tables and chairs. For more information about the event and to register online for exhibitor space, one should visit www.nshof.org (click on City Fair logo) or contact info@NSHOF.org or 877.295.3022.
Governor’s Service Awards May 9, 2012
The Governor’s Service Awards are presented by the Governor’s Office on Service and Volunteerism (GOSV) each year. These awards recognize Maryland citizens for their significant volunteer contributions to the life and health of the state and its people during a particular period of time. The 2012 awards ceremony will recognize volunteer service during 2011 (or longer for a lifetime achievement). The awards will be presented to selected recipients and invitees at a luncheon in Timonium on May 9, 2012. Nominations for the 2012 Governor’s Service Awards are now being accepted. All nominations must be submitted via an online form no later than 5:00 pm on Friday, March 16, 2012. For more information about the rewards including eligibility requirements and the nomination process, visit the website at: http://www.gosv.maryland.gov/.
Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts
Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts now has openings in several volunteer positions and will be holding two new volunteer orientations. Currently the opportunities include ushering with performing arts, assisting at special events, and occasional help with Visual Arts. For ushering, there is an additional training date. At our orientation we will discuss details of these volunteer positions. Please join us on one of the following dates:
National Aquarium Chesapeake Bay Initiative Habitat Restoration Projects
Saturday, April 28, 2012, Ft. McHenry Field Day: The ten-acre tidal wetland bordering Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine now serves as a refuge for many species of wildlife including sea ducks, heron, muskrats, and red-winged blackbirds. Join the Conservation Department at the National Aquarium in Baltimore at Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine to help clean up the bay. The National Aquarium in Baltimore is looking for community volunteers, ages 14 and older, to participate, rain or shine. Activities include debris cleanup, planting native marsh grasses, trail maintenance and more. Register online at www.aqua.org or contact the Conservation Department at 410-659-4236 or email@example.com.
Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, Lothian, MD
At the Sanctuary, children and adults collect water samples, clear trails, weigh turtles, guide visitors on nature walks, draw maps, lead canoe trips, make posters, seine for fish, host the Visitor Center on weekends, and more. For more information and for specific opportunities unless otherwise noted below, contact Lindsay Hollister at 410-741-9330, or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Check the website at: http://www.jugbay.org.
- · 9:00 am–12 Noon, Sat., Mar. 31, 2012, Marsh Cleanup: Volunteers are needed to help with trash clean up at Hill’s Bridge on Rte. 4. Participants should wear shoes that can get muddy, bring thick gloves, and meet at Patuxent Wetland Park on the north side of the bridge.
- · 9:00 am–12 Noon, Sun., Apr. 1, 2012, Canoe Guide Training Workshop: Older teen and adult volunteers with canoeing experience are being sought to take this land-based training to lead canoe trips. Training will cover volunteer responsibilities, canoe safety, paddling techniques, canoe routes, marsh ecology, and Sanctuary policies.
- · 10:00 am–3:00 pm, Sat., Jun. 2 & Jul. 21, 2012, Fish Survey: Volunteers using a seine net monitor the fish populations living in streams. They help catch, identify, and measure (and then release) fish. Participants should wear old shoes that can get wet and muddy. For teens and adults. For information call 410-222-7317.
Maryland Cooperative Extension Anne Arundel Co. Master Gardener Demonstrations
The AA County Master Gardeners are a group of volunteers trained by the Univ. of Maryland Cooperative Extension to educate citizens about effective and sustainable horticultural practices and landscaping problem solving through demonstrations, and other outreach activities. For more information, contact 410 222-6757 email@example.com. Schedule of composting workshops at Quiet Waters Park:
- · 10:00 am, Apr. 21, May 12, 30, Jun. 9, 27, Jul 14, 25, and Aug. 11, 22, 2012, Composting Workshops: Master Gardeners show how grass trimmings, leaves, and kitchen scraps can be turned into compost for mulching and soil amendment. The demonstrations are held at a site on Wildwood Trail and are canceled in the event of rain. Contact 410-222-1777 for more information.
This nonprofit provides home delivered meals for clients who are homebound with HIV/AIDS. Volunteers, as young as 16 (15 & under w/adult) are needed to deliver meals Mon.– Fri. between 9 am–1 pm. Meal delivery takes about 1 hr and drivers have flexibility in setting their schedules. Volunteers are asked to deliver once a week or once a month. Contact Tom Patrick at 410-327-3420, Xtn 31 or firstname.lastname@example.org. See www.mfeast.org.
- · May 19-20, 2012, Tenth Annual Ride for the Feast Fundraiser: A variety of volunteers are needed for this event encompassing two days and 140 miles of road biking from Ocean City to Baltimore, MD. Crew members are needed for events and support leading up to the event, as well as on the days of the ride. The later include assisting at overnight stop areas, working pit stops, support and gear drivers (SAG), repair technicians, and helping at the closing ceremony in Baltimore. Riders will be riding through Anne Arundel County on Sunday, May 20th, where support will be needed. For more information, please contact Elana Kanter, Events Manager for Moveable Feast at email@example.com or visit web site: www.mfeast.org.
Parks and People Foundation
Since 1984, Parks & People Foundation has worked to improve the quality of life in Baltimore’s neighborhoods by helping to improve the physical, social and environmental quality of neighborhoods through greening activities and forming networks among communities to sustain natural resources. A variety of environmental projects are accomplished each year that offer volunteer opportunities for both individuals and groups. For more specific information on individual projects, visit the web site, including the calendar of activities. For more information, contact 410-448-5663 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: www.parksandpeople.org.
Race to Stop the Silence, April 29, 2012
Stop the Silence, Inc. is a non-profit organization with a mission to expose and stop child sexual abuse and help survivors heal worldwide through comprehensive programming. A variety of volunteers of all ages are needed prior to and on race day, which is at 9:00 am, Sat., Apr. 29, 2011, to prepare for and manage the 8th Annual National Race to Stop the Silence (8K Race, 5K Fun Run/Walk, Kids’ Fun Run) in Washington, DC, which increases awareness and raises funds for the organization. Help is needed before the race with mailings, packet pick up, and goodie bag preparation. The day of the race, volunteers are needed at registration beginning at 7:00 am, to oversee food distribution and awards & prizes, and with course monitoring. For more information, see web site at www.stopcsa.org/race.html for volunteer sign up link or contact Pamela Pine at email@example.com.