Many Volunteer positions are available through the Volunteer Center For Anne Arundel County. If you do not see an opportunity below that fits your needs, contact the Volunteer Center at email@example.com or 410-897-9207. Check our Website: www.VolunteerAnneArundel.org. A few current volunteer opportunities are listed below.
Annapolis Maritime Museum
The Museum needs volunteers on a continuing basis to maintain and expand its innovative environmental education program, conduct tours to the historic Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse, restore wooden boats, interpret the Museum’s exhibits to the public, and help with the winter seminar series, the summer concert series, and events like the Annapolis Oyster Roast & Sock Burning in March and the Boatyard Beach Bash in September. For more information, contact the Museum’s Volunteer Coordinator, Amanda Elliott, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-295-0104 Check website at www.amaritime.org. Event for which additional volunteers may be needed:
- · Noon –4 pm Saturday March 24, 2012,Second Annual Annapolis Oyster Roast: This Maritime Museum fundraising gala has great food and entertainment for everyone. The festivities include the burning of the socks – a spring tradition at the Museum – plus live music by The Oyster Boys and Sly 45! Visit the website www.amaritime.org for more information and to purchase tickets.
Anne Arundel County Dept. of Aging & Disabilities
Volunteers are needed to serve in multiple locations and programs around the County. Contact Volunteer Coordinator at 410-222-4464.
§ Foster Grandparent Program needs volunteers to work with special needs children. Seniors, 60+ years, who are income eligible, volunteer approx. 15-20 hours/week at schools, Head Start Centers or other non-profit childcare facilities, working one-on-one with children who really need them. A tax-free stipend, transportation, a meal at the site and paid training are provided. Contact Kristin Plumer at 410-222-0144 or email@example.com. or www.aacounty.org/aging.
§ Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) recruits volunteers ages 55+ to serve in various programs, including 19 Nutrition sites, as Telephone Reassurance volunteers, as VITA (Tax) volunteers and as office assistants. RSVP volunteers also serve as tutors and mentors in County schools, as administrative support with the State and County police and in other locations. There is a particular need for weekday Telephone Reassurance volunteers who work in teams of two from 7-10 am from the Glen Burnie office. For more information, contact: Kim Yates at 410-222-6717 or AGKIQU99@aacounty.org.
Arundel Lodge is a community mental health center serving mentally ill adults. Arundel Lodge is looking for a volunteer with experience in the employee benefits area to help Arundel Lodge redesign its employee leave & benefits package. Prospective volunteers should contact Lmurphy@arundellodge.org or Ajackson@arundellodge.org or call (443) 433-5931.
Community Preservation & Development Corp. (CPDC) Bates Senior Residence
The Bates Senior Residence is operated in Annapolis by CPDC, a nonprofit organization that creates and preserves financially sound, socially responsible affordable housing for low and moderate income individuals and families. There is a current need for a poetry group leader from 5:00-6:00 pm, on one Thurs. evening per month to lead a group of older adults in reading, analyzing, and just enjoying good poetry. In addition there is a need for a beginner’s Spanish instructor to teach Spanish to residents weekly from 5:00–6:30 pm, weekly or bi-weekly starting in June 2012. For more information, contact Georgina Hernandez-Norris at (410) 263-3009 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. See web site: www.cpdc.org.
Anne Arundel County Department of Recreation and Parks
- · Counselor-in-Training (CIT) 2012 Program: Youth candidate volunteers are being sought for this year’s program. Due to increased interest in the CIT program, acceptance has become more competitive. The CIT program is now offered for 3 – two week sessions in our Summer Fun Center locations and Quiet Waters Day Camp. Downs Park Day Camp is not available this summer. Applications and more information are available online at www.aacounty.org/recparks or contact Wendy Scarborough. Applications must be submitted no later than May 4, 2012.
- · Summer Serve Leadership Challenge 2012. The Volunteer Summer Serve Leadership Challenge 2012 (VSSLC) program is a 2-week volunteer program for youth who have completed 7th grade and are younger than 15. A total of four different sessions will be offered this summer, for a fee of $100/session. Participants may apply for one or more sessions to learn about and discuss various topics ranging from school year volunteer opportunities to conflict resolution strategies and social issues that they may face in today’s society. Youth who successfully complete the program may earn community service hours as well as gaining work experience that will help them prepare for employment interviews, applying for college, and other life skills. Applications are available online at www.aacounty.org/recparks and must be received by May 4, 2012for consideration. For more information contact Wendy Scarborough at (410) 222-7313 or email@example.com.
- · Youth Conservation Corps (YOUTH CORPS) 2012 Program: Recreation & Parks is announcing a NEW Youth Conservation Corps volunteer program at Lake Waterford Park, Pasadena. Youth completing grade 8 June 2012 up to the age of 16 are welcome to apply. The program will be held daily from 9 am–3 pm for two 2-week sessions during the month of July. Volunteer experience will include park conservation and clean up at Lake Waterford Park as well as at other county facilities. Applications are now being accepted. Interviews and enrollment will start February 1, 2012. This is a first come first serve program with a maximum number of participants. Final deadline for application is May 4, 2012. Contact Wendy Scarborough at (410) 222-7313 for questions not covered in the downloadable information/application form at: www.aacounty.org/RecParks/
North Arundel Co. Alumnae Chapter (NACAC) of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Community Informational Forum, March 31, 2012
Joining forces with NACAC, the following entities will partner to put on this engaging free community program to provide information on elder care and home ownership and retention: Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities, Clear Path Financial Planning, Arundel Community Development Services, Inc. and HomeFree USA. This program willbe held on March 31, 2012 at Arundel Middle School, 1179 Hammond Lane, Odenton, Maryland, from 9:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. For the event flyer or more information, please visit www.nacacdst.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Partners in Care
Partners In Care is an all-volunteer local nonprofit helping older adults remain independent in their homes. Drivers, receptionists, handymen, ride dispatchers, Life Line emergency response installers, and boutique workers–all are needed. There is also a need for volunteers to staff the boutique. Many opportunities are available for students to obtain hours for service learning requirements. Contact Linda Dennis at 410-544-4800 or email@example.com
- · 11am–7 pm, Fri. Mar. 23 & 10 am–4 pm, Sat. Mar. 24, 2012, Annual Jewelry Extravaganza:
The Jewelry Extravaganza features treasures from Partners In Care’s own “collection” in addition to the offerings of more than a dozen area artisans and vendors. Premium gold, silver, fashion and estate jewelry is collected all year, then cleaned, repaired, and appraised for this event. In addition to traditional designs, one-of-a-kind pieces in a variety of styles will be showcased with jewelry selections to suit every taste and budget. This event is being held on Fri. after noon at the Severna Park Community Center, 623 B & A Blvd., Severna Park, and will continue at the Partners in Care Boutique, 6 South Ritchie Hwy. in Pasadena from 10 am–4 pm on Sat., Mar. 27. All proceeds benefit Partners In Care Programs. For more information, please contact Kate Reed at 410-384-9721 and visit partnersincare.org.