Many Volunteer positions are available through the Volunteer Center For Anne Arundel County. If you do not see an opportunity below that fits your needs, contact the Volunteer Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-897-9207. Check our Website: www.VolunteerAnneArundel.org. A few current volunteer opportunities are listed below.
Civil Air Patrol –Arundel Composite Squadron
The Civil Air Patrol does aeronautical training and has a cadet program for teen-agers. The Arundel Composite Squadron holds meetings at 7:00 pm on Tuesdays at the Glen Lutheran Church in Glen Burnie. For more information contact Tim Strickland at 410-960-1337 or e-mail: email@example.com. Web site: http://arundel.mdwg.cap.gov/
Cool Kids Campaign
The mission of the nonprofit Cool Kids Campaign is to provide pediatric oncology patients a higher quality of life for themselves and their families. This is accomplished through a variety of participatory fundraising events. We also need volunteers with teaching experience or experts in their field to offer their time and talents to tutor the kids or to offer special seminars, classes or opportunities that will enrich their lives in a significant way. We can also utilize volunteers for a variety of tasks, including special events. For a volunteer application please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-560-1770. See web site at www.coolkidscampaign.org.
· 8am, Sat., October, 15th, 2011, 2011 Baltimore Running Festival: Volunteer participants are needed to help raise funds for Cool Kids. Marathon and Relay start at 8am, Half Marathon, 5K, and Fun Run start later in the morning. For information and to sign up visit the web site at www.coolkidscampaign.org/.
Fall Greenscape 2011, Sat., October 22, 2011
The Annapolis Recreation and Parks Department has announced Fall GreenScape 2011 to take place on
Sat., Oct. 22, 2011. This program by volunteers accomplishes beautification, clean-up and planting in public spaces throughout the City of Annapolis. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Marisa Wittlinger at email@example.com or 410-263-7993. For those that ordered bulbs, they will be ready for pick-up Monday through Friday, October 17-21 from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. at Pip Moyer Recreation Center.
Robert A. Pascal Youth & Family Services
The organization’s mission is to promote optimal social, emotional, and mental health by providing accessible, innovative, and comprehensive individual, family, and group counseling as well as educational services to diverse communities. There is an immediate and continuing need for volunteers, age 16 and up, with typing skills for data entry between 9 am–9 pm on weekdays. We are also always seeking donations of office supplies. For more info call 410-975-5667 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web Site: www.rpascal.org.
· 8:00–11:30 a.m., Sun., Oct. 29, 2011 annual 5K Run and One Mile Halloween Fun Walk: Volunteers are needed to assist with registration, trail marking, runner assistance and general race organization. All volunteers will report to the Park Plaza Lot in front of Robert A. Pascal Youth and Family Services at 570H Ritchie Highway, Severna Park, MD. Documentation will be provided for those in need of Independent Service Learning Hours. For more information, call 410-975-0067 and visit the web site at www.rpascal.org.
Happy Helpers for the Homeless
This nonprofit organization provides food, toiletries, and clothing to the hungry and homeless. Volunteers, as young as 6, are needed Saturdays (11:30am-2:30pm) and Sundays (1:00-4:00pm) to assist in distributing items and bag lunches in downtown Baltimore and Glen Burnie. Ongoing donations needed: men’s socks, toiletry items, men’s clothing, blankets, shoes in very good condition, sturdy napkins/paper towels, mustard, juice boxes, fold-over sandwich bags, lunch meat and fresh fruit. Ongoing through winter is the, coat, blanket, and gloves drive. Volunteers can meet in Glen Burnie to caravan up to Baltimore. There is also a critical need for cash donations to help pay rent for space used by Happy Helpers. Contact Bobbi Coffman at 443-433-2416 for more information about volunteering on all projects and events.
· Bag a Breakfast Project. Put together a bag breakfast for a homeless individual. Include box of cereal, with spoon and cup, poptart, fruit, hot chocolate package with cup and spoon, juice box, and napkin. Can be done anytime. Just drop off at Happy Helpers. Additional events for which volunteers may be needed:
· 7:30–10:30 am, Sat., Oct. 22, 2011, Make a Difference Day: This is the 17th year Happy Helpers has held this event. A group of those we serve will be taken for breakfast at the Glen Burnie Golden Corral, and afterwards clients will receive job search assistance, haircuts, clothing, toiletry gift bags, and lunch.
· 5–9 pm, Sat., Oct. 29, 2011, “Light the Night” Walk for Leukemia & Lymphoma: Happy Helpers raise pledges and walk in honor of Thomas Cleaver, III, Cindy Cox, and Mr. Joseph Nowalski. Participants will meet at Cromwell Light Rail Station in Glen Burnie at 5:00 pm. Food will be served at the end of the walk.
· 10:00 am–12:30 pm, Sat., Nov. 19, 2011 “National Family Volunteer Day”: 1,000 sandwiches will be prepared at Grace Point Presbyterian Church, 615 Donaldson Ave., Severn, MD 21144, while simultaneously
Hundreds of Christmas presents will be wrapped at Happy Helpers Headquarters.
Special Olympics Maryland
Special Olympics is a non-profit organization providing a variety of sports programs to athletes with cognitive delay or developmental disabilities. More information, including a variety of volunteer opportunities, is available on the website at www.somd.org or contact email@example.com or 800-541-7544. Upcoming event:
· Thurs., Oct 27, 2011, 2011 Unified Tennis State High School Invitational: A large number of volunteers, age 16 and up, are needed as officials, to monitor courts, distribute lunches and beverages, escort athletes to competition and awards and in many other volunteer positions. The Invitational competition will be held at Annapolis High School and Truxton Park in Annapolis, and volunteers are needed for two shifts: 8:00 am–2:00 pm, and 12 Noon–6:00 pm. These events are part of a partnership of Special Olympics Maryland working with over 65 Maryland High School programs which ensures that students with disabilities are provided with equivalent opportunities in interscholastic sports. Rain date for the Invitational will be Oct. 28. Volunteers may register online at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2011UnifiedTennis or call 410-242-1515 (X121, Ashley or X111, Janet).
Winter Relief Program, late October through early April–Rotating Locations
Forty-eight churches will provide sheltering sites and an additional 14 churches are partnering with them in the county to support a shelter program from late October until April. For one week at a time, participating churches host men (and some can also accommodate women) in need of a hot meal and shelter for the night and breakfast the next morning. The Winter Relief Program needs volunteers to assist at the Intake Center at 514 N. Crain Hwy. in Glen Burnie and to be transportation escorts for showers for our guests. Interested volunteers can contact Phil Baily at 410-863-4888 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Rotary Club of South AA County, Costumes for a Cause, Thurs., Oct. 27, 2011
Although Anne Arundel County Schools provide breakfast and lunch for needy students, many go home to little or no food at all on weekends. The Rotary Club’s Bountiful Backpack Project addresses this problem by providing students with backpack filled with select, nonperishable food items on Friday afternoons; the program currently covers neediest children at both Edgewater and Lothian Elementary Schools at a cost of about $5 per student.
· 7 pm–Midnight, Thurs., Oct. 27, 2011, Costumes for a Cause: This Halloween-themed fundraising costume party and contest at Wild Willy’s Rock House & Sports Saloon at the Annapolis Towne Centre will raise money for the Bountiful Backpack Project and other charitable Rotary projects. Sponsors and participants are being sought to attend and support this worthy event; live entertainment is being provided by Doug Segree Band and a complimentary appetizer buffet & drink specials will be provided all night. For more information, contact Jeff McKee at 301-537-0352 or email@example.com and see website: www.SouthCountyRotary.